Have the motion now need muscle strengthening

Posted , 7 users are following.

Went to pt on Monday and Bob is happy with my motion. As my dr is too. Im 12 weeks po. 120 bend. 0 straight. Bob now has me working on strengthening my muscles. My hamstring is good. I need work on quad and muscles on the side of my knee. I started doing straight leg lifts today laying down tightening my muscles and lift straight up a few inches. Hold it then put it down

This plus others that I have been doing. I have had terrible pain under my kneecap. It's a burning pain. Iced it and elevated it but is still there. My walking is a little wobbly so really need to work on my muscles. Does anyone have exercises that will strengthen the side muscles? I was doing so well. I thought I was done with going backwards. Thank you. Hope everyone is having a great day!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linlee- sounds like you've got good support on your journey.  The pain you may be experiencing is not muscle, but has more to do with the ligaments which are the connections between muscle and bone, a become unstable with lack of use.  The sides of our knees are ligaments and are the attachment points for the muscles.  If you're comfortable seeing inside the body there are cool videos on YouTube which will show you how it all works.   So keep up with muscle strengthening and the stability will come.  
    • Posted

Thanks for your encouraging words. I just wish things would move along a little faster. I've tried to increase the amount of exercises I do only to pay for it the next day. I keep telling myself this is a very long process.
  • Posted

Hi linlee

I am nine and a half weeks po and have 107 bend. I am similarly wobbly - in fact I am still on two crutches outdoors sad

My physio has given me side exercises for this very thing: 

1 the clam - lie on your side, knees bent, and slowly raise one knee as though opening a clam or mussel shell

2 the scissors - lie in side with upper leg straight, toe pointed straight at opposite wall, gradually raise leg

3 all types of exercise that involve balancing on one leg - he likes 'hip hitches' especially wink

I'd ask a physio to show you these or similar, as you don't want to hurt yourself. I just described them by way of illustrating that I have that problem too. It can be dealt with.....it's another phase. Frustrating, I know, oh how I know!! But we'll get there smile

Good luck x

• Posted

Thank you so much for these exercises! Going to add them to all the other's I'm doing. Thank you again.
  • Posted

Great job. Linlee has given you the ones I was going to give you. You are not going backwards at all. Makes you fell good, eh? 
    • Posted

Oops, its nextone I owe the credit to. wink
  • Posted

Hi Linda!  I've been thinking about you!  WOW 120!!!  So you can go down stairs fine?  I have been out of town & have to leave again tomorrow, so 2 weeks without PT.  I'll be curious to see how I do once I get back.  I feel about the same, which was 106 at my last measure, so we'll see.  A big congrats to you!!
  • Posted

WOOHOO!!!  I'm -1 / +128...working the last degree out at the gym.  Congratulations.  Now for the quad...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.