Have to go for a Medical!

Posted , 3 users are following.

What the hell's going on I got a phone call on Friday telling me that I have to go for a Medical with one of the Incapacity Benefit Doctors on Tuesday morning, this is to check that I really am in as much pain as I'm stating and I'm not claiming unnecessarily.

Do they think that I enjoy living off £72.55 a week with a home to run and two children to bring up. I'm on alot of medication and also Morphine Patches now. I cannot do the most simple of things eg. Hoovering, loading the washing machine etc. It's a good job I have a helpful family living close by.

I'm so angry I'm a genuine case, I haven't been to work this year due to severe pain I've had an Op in January, 2 Epidural Steroid Injections and a Nerve Root Block all to no avail and I'm waiting to go in for another Op but waiting list is 4-5 months wait. The trouble is that they're too many Scroungers claiming Incapacity and Disability Allowance that really don't need it. I live in a small village and they are alot claiming when there's sod all wrong with them, it does make my blood boil.

I have worked all of my life and have never been on benefits etc so why can't I claim these benefits when I'm genuinely disabled. :evil:

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi angela

i think the icb do routine medicals at certain times during your claim, i was told right at the beginning before i had any money off them that i would be called for a medical, please try not to worry, you are a genuine case and they will see that, its just the medicals are there to sort the fakes from the real ill people, any news on a date yet? i was told in july that it would be 4-5 months and heard nothing so i hope you,ll have better luck and be on the mend soon. gail

• Posted

:x

hi angela,

omg!!! :shock: angela, i know how annoying it is, and yes there are so many abusing the system, i have a family near me, about 25 of which i know, it seems too easy for them to claim but genuine people like us find it hard, its because they know how to play the system!!! :steam:

but at least we can sleep at night and not affraid to answer our doors!

i have just been awarded DLA after a 8 month battle! but luckly i was found to have more wrong than i originally had,

when you have the medical, express how bad the pain is and what difficulties you have because fo the pain, with looking after yourself! looking after your children and general day to day living, house work etc, think of you worst day too, think what you are like when your having a really bad day, and even if you don't get the help, express what help you do need,

anyway i'm sure you'll be fine, just think how can you work when you can't even look after yourself!!!

hey good luck :goodluck: let us know how you get on :ok:

take care,

:rose: mandy :rose:

hi gail :boing: lol

• Posted

[quote:7750ff14d8=\"gail\"]hi angela

i think the icb do routine medicals at certain times during your claim, i was told right at the beginning before i had any money off them that i would be called for a medical, please try not to worry, you are a genuine case and they will see that, its just the medicals are there to sort the fakes from the real ill people, any news on a date yet? i was told in july that it would be 4-5 months and heard nothing so i hope you,ll have better luck and be on the mend soon. gail[/quote:7750ff14d8]

Hi Gail,

I have just been to see my Doctor tonight and he's going to write to my consultant and ask for me to have the operation quicker than the 4-5 months waiting list.

My pains gradually getting worse as every day passes, and I'm again having trouble peeing. How bad do you have to be before they do anything to ease your pain. I'm so fed up of not been able to do stupid little things like bending down to put washing in the washer, hoovering and ironing etc.

My Doctors gave me a printout of my past medical history to give to the Incapacity Benefit Doctor tomorrow for my Medical. Bloody cheek it's always the Honest ones that get penalised isn't it?

I'll keep you updated as to what happens!

Angela

• Posted

Hi Angela,

I know too well what you are going through.

Back in 2005 I claimed Incapacity Benefit. Filled out dozens of pages of forms and was awarded nothing. All because having worked since 1976 I hadn't paid quite enough NIC in 2002/03. Filled in dozens more pages of forms to claim Income Support, but they decided I couldn't have that either as I got £287.50 a month in maintenance from my ex-husband. So that money had to support me, two children and my son at uni and pay all our bills including the mortgage.

However, I digress. Having been awarded absolutely nothing in IB, after a few months, I too got a questionnaire to fill in hotly followed by a date for a medical. I thought \"you have got to be joking\". By this time I had filled in about 200 pages of benefit forms and got f**k all!! I filled it in because I was hoping to get some entitlement in January 2006 and I thought not complying may jepodise that. By the time of the medical I had just gone back to work, but still they kept writing, threatening to cut my benefit. Eventually I rang up and told them to bog off and leave me alone. I had even filled in a form confirming I was no longer \"entitled\". I asked them \"why are you hounding me\"??? They said that even though I was not receiving any IB I had been receiving a weekly NI credit. I said \"Great, hundreds of pages of forms and you give me no money whatsoever, but a pathetic NI credit to claim an extra penny a week on my state pension..........in 20+ years time\". Geez!!

As you say, why on earth don't they put their energies into chasing up those that are blatently abusing the benefits system.

Good luck. Hopefully, after this they will leave you be.

Can I ask what sort of operation you had in January, and what went wrong. I am due to have a L5/S1 microdiscectomy shortly.

Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.