Have to have biopsy of Thyroid nodule. Constant swollen lymph nodes

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am frightened. Just had ultrasound done on swollen lymph nodes under my left jaw. They have been swollen since June. My Doctor said it's just allergies and does not seem concerned. But she out an order in to have a biopsy on the lymph nodes and thyroid. It came back and the radiology department wants a biopsy done on a enlarged thyroid nodule. I wish they would biopsy the swollen lymph nodes. I am frightened of possible thyroid cancer. A swollen lymph node was also found under my right armpit, and I have to see a surgeon about that too. I feel overwhelmed.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Josephine, I'm sorry that you have to go through this. Just wondering if you have had your biopsy yet? Most of the time they would want to biopsy thyroid nodules because they can look abit ambiguous on ultrasound and actually sometimes even the cells they biopsy can look ambiguous.

I found a thyroid nodule and had to get this biopsied, the biopsy was not conclusive and I was told actually it is very unlikely to be cancerous and it was up to me whether I wanted to take the risk of waiting a few more months for another biopsy or have a diagnostic thyroidectomy (removal of thyroid gland). I wasn't keen on sitting on a potential cancer for a few more months, but then on the other hand I also got all the risks associated with a general anaesthetic and surgery.

From reading about thyroid cancers, I learnt that even if it turns out to be cancerous (which I hope not, fingers crossed that you will be absolutely fine), they will remove it and there are many very effective treatments available.

All the best.

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you for responding. I have a surgeon looking at my swollen lymph node under my left arm on 28th of September, which is giving me alot of anxiety. It's hard because I have no family, few friends and no support system. Then I have a fine needle biopsy on my two thyroid nodules on 14th of October. It's just overwhelming.

• Posted

Hopefully it will all turn out alright. It is very overwhelming, especially when you have been well all your life. It is important to have a good support network when you are going through times like these. Can I suggest IAPT to you? http://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Psychological%20therapies%20(IAPT)/LocationSearch/10008

You enter your postcode on the above link to find services in your area and many are self-referral services now and they can offer you some talking therapy? Are you still managing with your day to day activities such as work?

Hope it all goes well.

• Posted

Yes, I have a good therapist I can talk too. I am on total and permanent Disability and don't work. I am also in a 12 step program. Thanks for your kind reply and for caring.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.