Have to lose weight for an operation..

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just phoned GP to ask if they can prescribe Orlistat to be told they can't anymore unless i have diabetes or any other condition that is seriously weight related.. I am 104kg and have a BMI of 35 is the fact i want to do something about it and need a wee bit of help not a good thing..

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I was borderline on the BMI weight but they gave it to me because my blood pressure was a bit high. A BMI of above  30  is the acceptance target for Orlistat. Not sure why your doc has refused. Google it & phone him back.
    • Posted

Hi Darren.. Gp told me they have been told not to prescribe a month ago..

am looking online to see if i can buy online.. Chemists have stopped selling Alli so ????

• Posted

Online costs a fortune, about £60. If you're preparing for an op try the cabbage soup diet. Eat as much as you want so never hungry & the pounds will drop off(temporarily)
    • Posted

Unfortunately Darren the op i am having is a large hernia and bowel problem so as much as cabbage wouldn't be a bind the consequences would???

• Posted

I didnt meet the requirements so my first doc says no then i went away and lost a stone which made my mental health a million times better, seeing this the 2nd doc gave me it without questioning me, try a diffrent doctor xxxx
    • Posted

Hi.. The gp is saying they have just been told not to prescibe unless blood pressure or diabtic... they have been told to refer people like me to weight management clinic.. long waitng list hence why i did orlistat in the first place..

• Posted

Are you saying that this is the same for all gp's or just yours? I know orlistat/alli was withdrawn a couple of years ago and just checked on a couple of online chemists and alli isn't available so I wonder if they have been withdrawn again, I hope not!!!
  • Posted

There was a gap because of a problem at the manufacturers. It's readily available now 
  • Posted

ask another GP? or buy XLS i think it is slightly weaker than Orlistat it' on offer at superdrug- you could just eat as though you are on the tablets you would still lose weight

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.