Have type 2 diabetes and would like other peoples' opinions.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm a 68 year old quite fit lady, and I've had type 2 diabetes for about 12 years now and feel I've handled it well, until now. I have been getting increasingly thirsty in the morning on waking, don't know why, as I feel I drink enough fluids through the day.  I'm not on insulin, just metformin. My sugar was 7.4 last blood test, and my diabetic nurse said I need to get it down, so gave me 6 weeks of "tightening" things up to do this, which has been VERY boring, as not one piece of chocolate has passed my lips, or any other sugary stuff either!  But plus I don't sleep well, only 3-4 hours if I'm lucky, then wide awake, and can't get back to sleep sometimes for 3 hours, then I have to be careful I don't sleep past breakfast time.  I'm feeling it's all quite a struggle now.  Does anyone else feel like this, if so, how do you handle things? 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm no expert but have read a lot about diabetes as was told I'm at risk of T2. One thing I have understood is that sleep is important and I've gathered lack of it can mess things up for diabetics.

I know the feeling very well re. getting up to go to the loo in the night then lying awake unable to get back to sleep for no good reason, subsequently sleeping through breakfast time!!  Also when you mention 'sugary stuff' I presume you mean all carbs?

Could it be that as you've had diabetes for 12 years it is starting to progress and further meds/insulin might be looming on the horizon? sad 

• Posted

Hi Jane, yes, I do exactly mean that it seems to be heading that way - frightening thought, especially as I hate needles.  Wonder what would happen if I refused to go on insulin, and continued with pills only!!  Would my toes drop off, or anything similar?  Would I die!!!  I wonder!!! But looking back to when I was first diagnosed, and told the doc she was WRONG!  I felt absolutely fine, but now, no, no, no - also maybe it's to do with getting older, not sure.  I'm due back to see my nurse in two weeks to see if sugar has gone down.  It may then be CRUNCH time - oh dear, just keeping my fingers crossed I've done enough.
    • Posted

Good luck with the next visit to the nurse, do let us know what she says. I'm 72 and just hate the feeling that all sorts of bad things are looming up. I already have hypertension.  Sometimes the NHS nurses can be extremely badly informed as to what is the latest thinking on diet if what I read people writing on diabetes uk have to say.  The NHS still tell you to eat far too much carbohydrate [IMHO], despite all the contradictory evidence that is emerging.  Then they wonder why we have an obesity and diabetes epidemic confused. Aren't there other meds that they use as well as metformin before insulin?

Do you follow the high fat and low carb way of eating. For years I struggled with my weight, which is probably why I became prediabetic, and ate low fat and high carb as per the NHS, weight watchers and other so called'expert' advice. No more - and the weight just fell off and has so far stayed off. Afraid I do love my chocolate though!! Lots of walking has helped with the weight -  and sugar too - I'm hoping. I'm due another HbA1c early in the New Yearneutral.

• Posted

I was recently diagnosed with hyperglycaemia (too much sugar) despite careful BG monitoring over 9 years. I suffered from thirst, dry mouth, no energy, insomnia (typical symptoms). I had been taking gliclazide for control but was advised that I should go on insulin instead.  I was reluctant, but I was persuaded that that was the best choice. Now, I'm so glad I did. It is a bind but it becomes the norm. I feel much better at present and am sleeping well (7-8 hrs). I'm 'iffy' about low carbs as you do need carbs for energy and should stick to the starchy ones (pasta, potatoes, rice ...). Yes, you should avoid the sweet carbs as they give an instant sugar hit (even grapes) but other berried fruit is excellent. Another piece of advice: when looking at carb contents on packaging, don't look at the sugar content only. It is the total carb content that matters. With a BG = 7.4,  I think you are managing your diabetes well but perhaps your nurse just wants to increase the dose of the meds a little. Diabetes is a progressive illness but with good management the rate of progression will be kept under control.
    • Posted

Hi there, many thanks - your symptoms before you went onto insulin,  sound just like mine.  I'm just SO scared of needles, don't want to go onto insulin, but feel I can't keep going on like I am.  My energy levels are not good, keep thinking it's just my age.  So will see what my nurse says.
  • Posted

There is nothing worse than being thirsty, it's just possible you may need your medication changing, but for that you'll find out if toughening up,with your diet helps.

as for not sleeping very well, unfortunately when we get older we can need less sleep. Popular remedies for helping you to get back to sleep are, getting out of bed and having a hot drink and read for about 30minutes, or do something mundane. It may help you, I hope you get sorted soon. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.