Have you been living with GB stone for a long, long time? How are you?!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Dear forum members,

I've been having a 23 mm stone at the outlet of my GB for 3 years now, and first I thought I could cope with it by sitting on a low fat diet, drinking herbal teas (quebra pedra) etc., but lately the pain flare ups have increased in frequency from less than once a month to every 3 days and I've decided to go for an operation on GB removal, which is planned within the next couple of months.

But I am still hesitant for several reasons:

1. Carelessness of the doctors - the impression is that they don't want to know anything about your problem (no MRI, no ultrasound - nothing) just cut your GB out.

2. After-effects - infection, hernia*), damage to other organs.

3. I think that if it's possible to live without operation - it's best not to have it.

So to cut the long story short - I wonder if there are people on this forum or your friends who have been living with GB stones for a really long time (like 10 years or more) and if you have - how do you cope?

Thank you very much for any feedback

*) I was told by the pre-op consulting doctor that 10% of patient after open operation have hernia

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Me and my nan have the same she had her gallbladder removed and she still gets the pain attack they called biliary colic attack boiled water as hot as u can stand it helps I'm 25 and my gallbladder is apparently riddled with gallstones and possibly in my tubes which is open surgery whereas it's normal simple keyhole if u can avoid try find way to desolving ur gallstones or if u can't ask to have them Lasered talk to doctor they should help u if not find a new one they are ridiculous if they haven't found a solution for u yet after this amount of time good luck anyway hope the hot water helps u. X
  • Posted

Hey yanavel so sorry to hear about your experience

I have had gallstones for a year and waiting for a gallbladder removal. I have quite a few small gallstones and one 18mm stuck on the duct pipe.

When I first started experiencing problems it was only eating cheese that would make me experience serious pains and vomiting for hours.

Very quickly this changes and was experiencing problems with lots of foods.inract I stopped eating me for 2 months to stop sickness. I have so far lost 4.5 stone, I seem to have a week or so where I can eat most foods including all meat and some sweet deserts but other weeks everything and anything will make me react and be vomiting for hours.

Mostly I will start with bloating stomach and the pressure building up at the bottom of my back and over one shoulder, then I know I'm in for hours of sickness, fever and feeling very sorry for myself.

Also now when I press near my right ribs when experiencing an attack I can feel the trapped gallstone.

Normally my attacks last around 4-5 hours of almost constant vomiting until I vomit some bile ( normally white frothy stuff) and then the pain instantly will stop.

This evening tho I have noticed in the end vomiting (which is the bile froth) there is blood with it, has anyone else experienced this please??

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.