Have you had a bipolar button turp or tuvp?

Posted , 14 users are following.

if you have had a button turp or bipolar turp for bph, can you talk about your experience and recovery? thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

i had TURP in june and still having problems .

it was pure hell on earth for me id not recommend it to anyone

• Posted

John, just curious. Why are you considering button turp or bipolar turp? Are you worried about RE? If not maybe you should consider HOLEP

• Posted

Travel to England and it will also be less expensive than in America. Probably about £6,000 plus your travel expenses.

• Posted

I had TURP green light surgery Aug 25, 2017. Was discharged and that night a bloodclot blocked the bladder and I had unbelievable pain. I rushed myself to the hospital and demanded triage come immediately. They catherized me and I got relief. I am on coumadin so that complicated things. Was in ICU for 3 days dealing with cath blockage by blood clots. Terrible pain. After discharge the second time had no bladder retention so wore pads. Dealt with that till early November (last year) and now everything is clear.ED after surgery and still taking proscar which also contributes to ED.No great loss. I am 86.

• Posted

Hi John

I am 73 y.o. and had a standard TURP about three years ago. Spent 2 nights in hospital with only a little discomfort (probably caused by the large tube in my urethra). I had a spinal block anesthetic and slept through most of the procedure until the last part where I was able to watch the action on a video screen.

Post OP was very easy - a little blood residue in urine for a couple of days, full urine stream in about 7 days after swelling went down, sexual intercourse at about 2-3 weeks from memory (retrograde ejaculation but otherwise normal orgasm) - overall very satisfied with my TURP.

Regards Mark

• Posted

Hi John,

I had a bipolar turp in July in Lincoln NHS. The operation caused me no pain except for initial burning feeling when passing urine due to slight trauma to urethra. I followed the instructions and took it easy for a couple of months. I had no real problems at all and the operation has resulted in a massive improvement in my quality of life. My urine flow has dramatically improved. I don't have to worry about needing to punctuate long journeys or leave concerts to go to the toilet. I get up less often at night although I still do get up a few times probably because of habit and also back ache. I had read all sorts of horror stories about this operation and after a lot of prevarication I was very nervous when I went into hospital. Quite honestly I think that, along with giving up smoking, its the best thing I've ever done. I think you should do what you can to get an experienced surgeon to perform the operation.

• Posted

John,

I had a button turp one year ago.

Following the procedure, I was catherized for four days.

Once the catherter was removed, I havent had any problems at all.

Also, I don't have retrograde ejaculation.

Success tips that worked for me.

1. I met with and interviewed five different urologists.

Then decided on the one that I was the most comfortable with.

2. The normal button turp procedure takes approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

After I explained to my urologist that I didn't want retrograde ejaculation, he patiently took four hours to make sure that he didn't interfere with my ejaculatory ducts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.