Have you had Somatic symptom disorder? How did you get better?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I feel so low during the days. My body feels so heavy as though it's descending underground.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi this is distressing isn't it? The first thing I would do is get yourself to the doctor and ask for some blood tests etc. to rule out any physical cause. If it not physical then it sounds like it's depression. Are you getting any help for this? x

• Posted

To elaborate on my condition, I have chronic extreme fatigue, derealisation, depersonalisation, depression, anxiety, stuck thoughts, oscillopsia, tingling and buzzing sensations, and near-complete numbness. I've taken blood tests both at a mental healthcare ward and a healthcare central and all came back normal. I'm not really getting any help right now for this. I was treated with anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medications before, but none helped me. They're now focusing on my Asperger's Syndrome by giving me home-care support, a lecture on Asperger's, physiotherapists and a psychologist.

Personally I think the depression and anxiety are just symptoms of my condition and are not the source of the problem. If you read the English Wikipedia article on Somatic symptom disorder it says that they are common symptoms of the disorder. The disorder is so frustrating and upsetting because you have no control over it and nobody believes you, while they are disabling and potentially distressing. Do you think there is real hope for me of getting better? This can't go on if I want a successful future. I won't be able to finish school and I won't be able to manage a job.

• Posted

Hi I am sorry to hear this. To be honest I haven't got a clue about Aspergers so I can't comment. I do know that not trying your best is not an option. I believe it is possible to reach a point where you can learn to deal with your illness enough to lead a good life though.

Don't forget - while there is life there is hope. I wish you the best. x

• Posted

how are you doing now? I have a lot of these symptoms:( I hope you are better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.