Have you regretted having your surgery?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am not totally sure what is wrong with my shoulder. The Dr wrote impingement on the order for PT. He told me there was a "hook" like a bird's beak on my acromion. This showed up on the x-ray. The PT helped with SOME of my pain/problems. I improved with certain movements but 2 other movements(not sure which ones, just told that by the PT assistant) had no improvement at all. I was given the injection in my shoulder last week. I'm not sure if it's helping or not. I am a little better but now the pain is different. It is hurting more when I move my arm with something in my hand as in putting dishes away or if I have to press, like cleaning the bathtub. My range of motion that was stopped at 90 degrees on the painful arc test. I am able to move my arm in most ways except straight up from the side (painful arc test). I see the Dr in a week or two and I know from past experience he'll suggest surgery. At this point I'm not even sure what it is. Maybe impingement, maybe rotor cuff, maybe nothing(?). Just looking for your views on what you would do.

thank you

PS, it is making my daily activities more stressful from the pain. The pain is not excruciating, just more annoying, limiting.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I don’t regret my rotator cuff surgery. Tomorrow will be one month. I still have some discomfort but it’s getting better. The pain before surgery was unbearable. I had no choice. The recovery is long just be aware of that and for the 1st 3 wks it’s very painful. I still can’t sleep in my bed. The couch is more comfortable but in time it’ll be ok
    • Posted

Thank you. The pain is NOT unbearable, just there. It limits what I'm able to do. Hurts to do overhead things like put away dishes, hurts to clean bathtub, etc. I'll never be sure, but I think I injured something in my shoulder a few years ago. Had excruciating pain from wringing out a rag. Don't want to repeat that again and don't want to let a problem go too long either. I am pretty sure the Dr will say surgery is the next step. 

• Posted

Hi Victoria,

I am in a similar situation. I have had shoulder problems for a number of years now. Had an MRI and was told I had an impingement of the distal supraspinatus tendon with tendinopathy. I then had three steroid injections. This helped somewhat but I still suffer with a lot of discomfort. My range of movement is ok. But It aches all day long.

The next step I have been told would be surgery. Unfortunately they cant really give me an idea of the success rates or risks. He said that he would only know this, once he opens me up. So all in all, very difficult to know what I should do??

I think if I was in really bad pain I would not hesitate but I'm not. So can't make my mind up.

I know that probably doesn't help you too much. But I guess I'm saying you are not the only one. Also if you get a more informed opinion, I would be very interested. Likewise I will let you know if I find any more.

thanks,

Andy

• Posted

It will only get worse with time and activity. I’m very active (kayaking, swimming, surfing ) and I am 63. I have osteoporosis and arthritis. I refuse to quit. Surgery for me was a no brainer. What do I have to lose? I’ve been in horrible pain. When I heal, I’m going back to my sports. Period!
    • Posted

Thanks for your comments jule. What do they say will be your recovery time?
    • Posted

Well, I have been watching a lot of Drs on youtube. I'm still not sure what to do. What I've learned is that if you are over 60 you have a good chance of having a tear in your rotator cup whether it causes pain or not. If you have impingement, you have an even higher chance of a tear and if you have a hook, like me, in the acromion it ups the chance some more. Then I learned that there is a pretty good chance that the tear will get bigger and at some point, the tear is too big to repair. That is how I understood things, anyway. So, even though the pain isn't horrible, it is like having a headache most of the time. It limits what I can do to some degree but not totally. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.