Haven't had appetite since gallbladder removal. Should I force feed myself?

Posted , 31 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removal March 8th of this year and didn't eat anything 3 days after. On the 4 day was able to get down a few crackers. That was for 3 days. Now 2 days later, nothing. ...

I do have juice and water during the day, but that's pretty much it. Anyone else has this loss of appetite issue? Thanks!

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am 12 post op, and my nausea is starting to settle down. Before my surgery I had constant nausea and couldn’t hold anything down. I had to have emergency surgery. I had stones and my gallbladder was thickening. After surgery for the first 9 days I still had the constant nausea.  Now I’m hungry, but just the thought of food makes me sick. I eat low fat because my stomach can’t tolerate fat yet. I try to eat turkey, crackers, applesauce, scrambled eggs. I sometimes have to force myself to eat, but I keep fluids in me. Some days I only want a protein shake. I just want to feel normal again. I feel drained most days. Just walking makes me tired.  
  • Posted

I had my surgery the 25th and don't want to eat anything. I force myself to eat some soup, crackers, jello or toast so I can take my meds.

• Posted

yes im having the same issue right now. Had it removed april 26....just not hungry.

• Posted

Hi there. Finding this site was a bit of a God send really. Thought i was going mad. Before operation i was feeling awful no appetite, palpitations, clay stools, sick stomach, lost alot of weight. I had none of the terrible chronic pains that people get gal stone just terrible sensations was the only way i could describe them so gal stones wasnt considered. had a colonoscopy they found a very mild hiatus hernia. went away tried to change my diet nothing changed went back to the surgeon she sent me for an ultra sound and they found a stone in the neck of the gal bladder. Had the operation 2 weeks later and was told to resume normal life. I felt things were getting back to normal but after 4 months my appetite which i thought was improving has gone again and Im having very green running stools. My stomach makes strange gurgling noises and im forcing myself to eat. Id be interested to know if this happened anyone else, that they thought they where on the mend and then there stomach went haywire again.

• Posted

I am 10 weeks post op and still have to force myself to eat small amounts at a time. Nothing ever tastes good any more and I have no interest in foods that I used to love. I rarely feel hungry and if so can only eat a few bites before I just don't want anymore.

Right after surgery I started the constant diarrhea so also dealing w the BAM complication for which I have to drink a nasty powder 3 times a day. Kind of hard to have an appetite after that.

At this point I feel depressed that I may just have to force myself to eat to live and may never enjoy eating again.

Does anyone has any insight for me?

Thank you,

Cindy

• Posted

Hi I had my gb removed a couple of years ago, after it made me very ill and was necessary in my case as it was in bad shape.

I had other health issues and was going to an acupuncturist. She found my liver showed signs of congestion, which is apparently common after gallstones which form due to bile issues in the first place.

The acupuncture did help me I believe though it was expensive, so I only go occasionally now. Liver issues may affect our energy levels and appetite. Don't know if this is of any help but thought I would mention. Hope you find the answers.

• Posted

Thank you for that insight. I had not considered the liver but it certainly makes sense. I also feel so fatigued all the time.

I will look into my liver function and appreciate your guidance.

Cindy

• Posted

Thank you for that insight. I had not considered the liver but it certainly makes sense. I also feel so fatigued all the time.

I will look into my liver function and appreciate your guidance.

Cindy

• Posted

i had my gallbladder out on the 13th and i havnt got any appetite and the smell of food make me feel sick.

• Posted

yes i have lost my appetite after my gallbladder surgery, I had mine done on the 13th and the smell of food make me feel sick.Like you i drink juice and water. I did have a little piece of melon.

• Posted

i had surgery 2 days after you....the 15th. I have the EXACT SAME SYMPTOMS. plus a CONSTANT bad taste in my mouth.

• Posted

Just got my surgery on July 26 ; only a couple of days in the 3 weeks of recovery that I could eat full meals; the rest for some reason, I have loss of appetite that i am only hungry for cereal and the thought of yogurt makes me sick. It was a week after the surgery that I had a massage therapy session in my back (upper and lower) and after the appointment, I had a lot of back pain and suffered bloating on my chest that I had acute chest pain. with Gas relief meds and advil it did help but was no fun to go through. Some days are better than others but it has gotten to the point of having no appetite at all, I am seeing the surgeon and family doctor this week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.