Having 1st mtp fusion and 2-4 toe pinning in 2 weeks

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, have been reading all your posts with some trepidation, self employed, live alone, 62, active and fit, but increasingly painful feet have sent me to the surgeon to hopefully get my life back, or at least not be sidelined to the couch for my remaining years. Bought an iwalk 2 to help me with mobility to get through this. .i have stairs, horses, who will be self feeding in the paddock for the most part this summer. I work alone in my busy barbershop, and plan to go back after 1 month, as i have no savings to take 6-8 wks off [have a cutting stool, and probably only back part days] could care less about fancy shoes, wear crocs at work as they were the only ones that didn`t kill my feet. after reading many posts, though .. i hope I`m doing the right thing .. ie. will be able to go for walks again, etc. , not sure at all now ! With a sedentary month coming up , will be on here .. thanks !

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi abh

I'm still going through the healing process of my surgery. I was six weeks NWB so I can't help with your recovery timing.

However I can give you some ideas that might help.

Listen to and follow instructions about elevation. Swelling is the baddie and must be avoided.

Stairs, crawl up, go down on your bum.

Get yourself organised with things to do, put them in a box next to the place you're going to spend your day.

Carry a bag up and down stairs for phone, kindle etc and chargers.

Make up the days hot drinks into a flask and put lunches into boxes. Plates and cups are very difficult to carry.

Always have water and painkillers in reach.

A stool in the bathroom is a great help. It can go in the shower, next to sink if you need to strip wash ,or just to sit on while you clean your teeth.

Think about what you are going to wear. Stretchy is comfy and doesn't need ironing.

Even if you can't get out, stand by the door and breath fresh air.

Fingers crossed it all goes well.

• Posted

Thank you Kim .. very helpful advice .. hope I`m doing the right thing for myself .. will update after the surgery. Yes, definitely fingers crossed !
  • Posted

I completely agree with Kim. I am 4 weeks today and will be seeing my surgeon later this morning. I was convinced I would be back in work by now but clearly underestimated the recovery time even though I was warned. Hoping it will be worth it. Good luck abh, all will be well.
    • Posted

Hi Gail

Thanks. My surgery was on 2 March and I won't get this pot off until 3 rd June. Then I'm 4 weeks in a boot. I'm reading other people's comments on this forum and I'm increasingly grateful that I have a job that gives me full pay while I'm off. I want to be sure I don't stop the healing from being successful., so trying to be patient.

I have to give credit to hubby. I've had breakfast in bed every day and I've just started preparing lunch and dinner.

Good luck with your healing.

• Posted

Oh brother, he wants me off work a lot longer .. but finances dictate. . I guess my poor foot will let me know. And the other one next year
    • Posted

I think it will be two years before I'm mentally ready to do the process again. As for hubby, he may never recover.

• Posted

Hi Kim,

i visited my surgeon, my op was 4 weeks ago. No crutches and no more uncomfortable boot. I can wear trainer shoes and weightbear, he has suggested swimming and given me some gruelling exercises plus a stint with the Physiotherapist. Still no driving for a couple of weeks and no work at the moment but do feel as if I’m getting there.

hope all goes well for you.

gail

• Posted

Hi Gail

That's good. I don't think I'll get back to work properly this term. It's the driving I miss the most.

Keep on following instruction.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi, Well It sounds like you are getting well prepared for this foot surgery, which is great and you are getting great advice from others on here too.I am also a hairstylist with bad feet rolleyes My first bunion and toe straightening surgery was Feb 7, so its been 4 months, I have 1 screw and a tight wire to keep everything from moving back. 

Being self employed doesn't help much when recovering from surgery, I was in the same shoes smile

I needed more than one month off, I took about 3 months and started back with a a cutting stool which was a huge help! Be prepared for swelling I still have it. I am working 3 days per week and after being non weight bearing for 8 weeks it is quite a challenge !    Best of luck to you !! keep us posted!

• Posted

Christine, you know how it is .. yes i have a cutting stool as well, and thinking i will go back part days only .. holy .. 3 months !   wou!d have to declare bankruptcy .. i hope this will all be worth it .. but the alternative of hobbling around unable to be very mobile to enjoy life is not a viable alternative .. so .. hoping for the best ! surgery date may 28 ..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.