Having 2 feet operated on.

Posted , 4 users are following.

At the end of January I had my bunion together with straightening of 2 toes done. Unfortunately my big toe is lifting and I will have to go in to have another operation to the toe remove the screws and replace them with clips (i.e. if I understood the surgeon). I had intended doing the other foot i.e. bunion and straightening of one toe next year. However I now feel I should go through both procedures together. Would appreciate your comments. I am 69 years of age and am worried that I will not be able to cope with both feet bandaged and using crutches and wearing the surgical boots.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

unless you are in excellent shape I'd say do not do both. I needed a new big toe joint with my bunion surgery. Still not full weight. I'm in early 60s. It's almost 6 weeks. you'll be sorry.

• Posted

Tks lovelynancie for your prompt reply. I have had surgery in February and because of my big toe I still cannot wear shoes. I can only wear Sketchers....? Material.My surgeon feels that I might as well have them both and suffer all the pain in one go. Really do not know what to do..... I feel so lost.

• Posted

I just went through my surgery on my right foot 6 weeks ago. I am 49, worked out 6 days a week and was very fit before my surgery. I asked the doctor to do both feet and he said absolutely not. I'm glad I listened to him because I realize how much I relied on that one good foot to get around (with crutches, scooting up stairs, with the knee scooter, etc). I have my next surgery for my left foot coming up in four weeks and I am concerned about my right foot not being ready to support my left. Your muscles atrophy quickly after inactivity also, so having both feet done would mean a lot more rehab later on. But I do understand what you are saying as well. If you have someone who can stay home and take care of you for the full non-weight bearing period, then you may be able to handle it. Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you so much for your advice. I guess I should really go and speak to my surgeon again as I am getting worried.

• Posted

Did you get sorted, Marie? I had both feet operated on 3 weeks ago and so far it's been fine. I have Darco shoes and crutches and can potter about the house now, though I tried to get up only for the bathroom for the first 2 weeks. I actually thought that having both feet in the Darco shoes kept my pelvis level and helped prevent back problems. I do get myself down onto the floor each day and do some non-weight-bearing exercises to try to keep myself strong through this recuperation period. It definitely helps that I have my husband here most of the time, though after the first few days (week!) I could have managed on my own.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.