Having a Colposcopy after usual symptoms. Feeling anxious.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm only 23 and i've been having severe pelvic pain for 4 months now. Had an ultrasound which was clear, and I've been begging for a smear all this time. Only now have they reffered me for a colposcopy.

I have a mirena coil in (for 3 years has been fine) and I havent bled much since I had it in until 4 months ago. My periods started getting heavier, more painful & i've bled after sex a few times. Recently I thought I was incontinent, but now starting to think its a watery discharge.

I also have horrendous acid reflux and am waiting for an endoscopy.

I did have the HPV vaccine but I am terrified that I might have cervical cancer. I have an urgent referral finally. But I can't stop worrying about what they might find. I started having sex at 15, and have had a few sexual partners. Basically i'm doing the right thing by getting it checked out but i'm just absolutely terrified I have cervical cancer. How do I stop this worry. I've never been so scared and catastrophise everything.

Also if anyone could share their colposcopy experience that would be great. thanks

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Anna.

I had very similar symptoms to yours starting at the age of 24 also. Severe abdominal pain, bleeding between periods and after sex. I had had smears because I had a child and they were always clear. My symptoms got worse over the years and I pushed my doctor to refer me to a consultant. I waited 5 years for that appointment which is an absolute horrific amount of time to wait. I kept visiting my GP and pushing them and finally got the appointment I needed. I was at breaking point with the pain and my quality of life was awful, I was living on strong pain killers daily to try and function normally but no amount of pain killers were helping me. I was finally diagnosed in January this year with Adenomyosis which is where the lining of the womb grows into the muscle wall. Its quite similar to Endemetriosis. It took 8 years in total from my first visit to the GP to my diagnosis. Just last week I was lucky enough to receive a phone call that there was a cancellation and I could come in for my surgery. I had less than 24 hours notice to get prepared. I had a hysterectomy, he removed my womb and fallopian tubes but left my ovaries as I am only 33 and he did not want me to go into menopause.

Everyone knows their own body and knows when something isnt right, but trying to convince doctors otherwise can be a real struggle. Keep pushing for answers now so that you can receive treatment early. I was left to ride it out and my condition was left to get worse over 8 years and now I have lost my womb. Please let me know how you get on with your appointments and i wish you the best of luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.