Having a dorsal root ganglion stimulation tomorrow - bit nervous

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I've been away from the forum for a while having had several issues with my Medtronic spinal cord stimulator. The wiring was removed in December because of continuous misfiring of the electrical signals and thumping in my backside, as well as the signals not being able to reach my lower limbs, although the battery was left in situ. Well tomorrow (Thursday 28th April) I become one of the first and few people here in the UK to undergo a dorsal root ganglion stimulation. It is similar to the scs but much more targeted, with electordes being attached to the ganglions - little nodules at the end of the nerve roots - L4/L5/S1 in my case. I have a few issues and ocncerns - 1) the battery that is placed in my left butt cheek and has caused me nothing but aggrovation and huge amounts of pain is NOT being moved and although I have considerable pain in both legs, they are only dealing with the left side this time. I hope to goodness it works out. I was hoping this might be my last surgery but I fear I have at least one more to come. This might be a silly question as the procedure is so new but has anyone else had this operation? I hear that the potential is immense (they are even using it to treat total paraplesia and epilepsy). Anyhow I will keep you all updated as to my progress and advise you if this is the  procedure you need to be seeking out to help with horrid nerve pain.

All the best Graham

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Graham,

Good luck on the surgery, I'm in mine in about half hour to move my battery from my back to stomach which I am so nervous, I don't understand why and the stimulator will be shut off until I get some other thing put in its place, it's so frustrating I gain so much weight and all my joints hurt so bad since the stimulator has been in, I will probably be one out of a million with a leaking or bad battery I can't take much more of the aching joints to the point where I can't even walk. Will good luck keep in touch talk soon.

Cynthia ( Cindy)

• Posted

Hello Cindy,

Dear Cindy,

By now I suspect that you are in surgery. Praying for you poppet and hope the battery move is successful. The pain from mine is sometimes unbearable and it rubs against the waist band every pair of trousers (pants) and undewear that I own - of course running around naked is not an option!!! I'm pretty sure mine has moved and it protrudes quite a way. The reason they are not moving mine tomorrow is that they want to concentrate on getting the DRG wiring correctly positioned on my lower spine and functioning well (he says hopefully). I truly hope that you will be back up and running with your scs very soon.

Keep me informed and lol Graham x

• Posted

I am sorry for all of you.

Bungle. Cynthia and all who are going through such a suffering and surgeries . expecting to get an improvement and relief I send my best wishes from the bottom of my heart.

Be safe, keep you hope alive!

🌺

• Posted

Thanks so much iellen. Poor Cindy has had nothing but probs like me. We had our scs implanted about the same time. It's all scary stuff but hopefully the end result will eventually be worth the pain and worry.

Lol Graham

• Posted

All the best of luck to you with this operation.  Medtronic is a leader in the field helping many issues.  Please keep us informed of your progress.  I have never heard of this operation that you mention.  I had  a dorsal column stimulator for my lumbar spine and upper thighs.  Unfortunately, it had to be removed in a year.  I had other medical conditions creating problems.  
  • Posted

Hi

I really don't know what to say, I have been reading this forum and has made me happy to here people are going though the same pain as myself, i have been offered SCS after now many years of pain in lower back and after double fusion of my lower Spine titanium bolts and plates were inserted, I still have alot of pain walking with crutches to take pain off the bottom of spine when walking, i take a load of painkillers and if I stop taking them I would not be able to move. I am sad to here that the SCS is giving people so much problems I am apprehensive of having it done but very interested in being pain free. Should I ask my Dr about the Dorsal Root Ganglion Stimulator?? Is it any better my problems is L3, L4, L5, and S1. I just need people that are going through the same problem to talk too, i get low when pain hits me and spend alot of time alone when I am in pain not wanting to be around others.

How is your Dogs is it working for you?

• Posted

It wasn't ment to say dogs sorry lol, DRGS Dorsal Root Ganglion Stimulator really sorry.

• Posted

Hi Graham.. I'm very interested in getting the DRG Stimulator, especially after reading that it's so much better than SCS. I know you wrote this quite a few months ago and I'm wondering how you're getting on with it? I'm trying to find out all the places that do this surgery in the UK, as I only know of 3 places offering this. Plus I need to find out how to get referred. I'm already being seen at St Thomas and they want to SCS in September but after finding about DRG in the last few weeks, I'don't rather have this new updated version.

• Posted

I have bad nerve damage in my lower right leg, from a badly broken leg after being in a serious ATV accident. I currently have a stimulator, and it helps the back issues that happened during my accident, but after close to a year later my pain is really bad in my leg. Oh and I'm currently a type 2 CRPS sufferer. I was told about this today, and feel this would be a good thing for me? However the device has two batteries, and two remotes. This will be changing around winter time, first of next year. So it was told that it would be of my best interest to wait until it's been updated (finalized). I'm so excited, and really wanting it now, but know I'd not be happy with the current product. Hopefully others with similar situations can update things regarding the ST. JUDE DRG?

• Posted

Hi Bungle. My doctor is talking to me about replacing my SCS stimulator with a DRG. I think it's been a year now since your implant. Can you share with me how it went and how you feel?

• Posted

I am doing the trial for the DRG stimulator this week. I am on way 5 and having really good pain relief. I has the SCS stim before and it didn't work out for me so I am really excited with the DRG. I will get scheduled for the permanent one to be placed soon. I am wondering what kinds of questions to have on hand. I want to make sure I have all of my research and questions prepared. I also have very severe nerve pain in my Leg. This is my last option on intervention relief since I have tried everything. I feel like this is my last chance for a new life. I just want to be prepared on what to expect and on what questions to ask.

• Posted

My 26 year old son with crps from cancer and  removal of 60% of his si joint and a fusion received A drg test ,we are in our 3rd day with no change and even more pain from the implanting of the leads. Has anyone had a positive experience  with this drg???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.