Having a gastroscopy in a few hours, freaking out!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

POSITIVE STORIES ONLY!

So I have my first gastroscopy in a few hours and I’ve been awake since 4am, my nerves and anxiety are getting the best of me and is causing really bad acid reflux right now along with feeling sick. 

I’m normally ok with pain, I dislocated my leg before and have had a few other procedures (unrelated) it’s generally just not knowing that makes me anxious. 

I want to opt for sedation as I feel my nerves will get the best of me, however I have a phobia of veins and can’t stand having blood tests or anything of the sort, so I’m both worried of the sedation and the gastroscopy. 

If anyone could share any positive stories or tips I would be grateful. Im being referred for a gastroscopy due to constant acid reflux and due to only being 22 they feel it’s necessary

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had one last week, it’s honestly very easy and well worth it to get the results you’ve been looking for. 

They gave me a sedative for mine and I either slept through it or don’t remember it at all. I only woke while they were taking the camera out and it was 2 quick coughs and it was over. 

You’ll be fine, and will be up and back to you’re daily life by noon. 

Cheers. 

• Posted

I had my colonoscopy and the gastroscopy done both at  the same time. The IV is the worst part but anesthesia usually starts the IV and they numb the area they start the IV in first or if they have it you can get a freeze spray which actually bums the skin with no tiny lidocaine pinch. I had a cyst behind my knee ( Bakers cyst) and they used the freeze spray and I didn’t feel the needle at all and they use a pretty big one to drain a cyst. 

Once the IV is in they give you some medicine that once they put it in you are out like in seconds. 

During the procedure you don’t feel a thing because of the sedation. 

Having both ends of me scoped at once Was way better than having two separate procedures.

It is very much worth the procedure because they can tell you right away when you wake up what they found. In my case they gave me a printout if the photos and each one showed what you look like in there. They also printed what the findings were by each photo. I had severe heartburn all the time and was on high dose4 medicines for it. They found a hiatul hernia, ulcers, erosions, and nodulous in my esophagus. No surprise there because of acid reflux which had already eroded my teeth. 

They do biopsies and they call you in about 7 days to let you know results. 

Once they determine what you have they can better adjust medicines. My granddaughter is just 18 and she has terrible acid reflux as well and she has liquid Zantac which so never even knew they had. I know my Zantac tablets take a while to work and Usually have to drink liquid antacids until the Zantac kicks in. 

Don’t worry, the procedure will be over before you know it! Good luck and ask about the freeze spray, it really helps when you have veins that don’t cooperate and it’s easier for them to get the IV inserted. 

• Posted

I would most definitely ask if they have the freeze spray! I hate needles too. Also one thing I have learned is that when they get ready to poke the IV ( or any needle, really) is to take a deep breath in at the exact moment the poke you. Just ask them

To count 1,2,3 and as soon as the day three take as big a deep breath as you can and hold it a second or two. It really helps so think because it gives you something to think about other than the needle going in!! 

• Posted

Don’t know how to edit in this but  it should read 

*as soon as they say three.

• Posted

Opt for the throat spray if you are frightened of needles; the throat spray is better for your recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.