Having a hard time understanding.......

Posted , 7 users are following.

Im having a hard time understanding why women would continue to suffer with fibroids rather than having surgury. I know how I feel, and Ive seen others tell them to avoid surgury. Why would you avoid something that takes all those bad symptoms away?? Just wondering....

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I think one reason could be because there a very strong anti-hysterectomy crowd out there. Online it's so easy to be told nothing but negatives for removing any of our reproductive organs. Many women put it off for fear of making things worse. And yes, sometimes there can be issues. But what lacks in information is how many women are happier after their surgeries. I have to stay away from some sites because they just make me feel bad and upset with their heavy bias against surgery. Some women suffer for even years longer out of fear instilled by the anti-hysterectomy people. It's fine to try other methods first. It's not fine to scare women into suffering longer when nothing else has given relief. This is my opinion! There may be other reasons as well!Jill

• Posted

Totally agree - I feel so much better already and I'm only 7 weeks post surgery!

• Posted

Most people are here with problems after surgery has gone wrong or not worked. Otherwise we'd be happily living our lives. Everyone I talked to beforehand said a hysterectomy was the best thing they ever did and had no issues including people in my family.

I did all kinds of treatments before hysterectomy and each helped for a period of time till my options ran out. But I'm the minority who continue to suffer unforseen health problems and we all hope it won't be us.

• Posted

Hi

I suffered from fibroids which caused me to have extremely heavy

periods making me anemic and unable to lead a normal

life for 7 years. Didn't want a hysterectomy as still trying for a family.

Had the fibroids resected 3 times to try and relieve symptoms.

Ended up having a hysterectomy May 2015 best thing I have

Every done, have got my life back. There should be more

information available to us ladies. I saw so many negative

items regarding hysterectomy that I was terrified of having

it done. Nearly changed my mine so glad I didn't. The only regret

is that I didn't have it done sooner as I feel I lost 7 years

of my life.

• Posted

Agree with claire, I seemed to run into male Dr's that just dismissed I had a problem, gave me some tablets that only made me worse, and then on top developed itchy skin, that I didn't have when I didn't take the tablets.

Eventually in my case started having what i would call haemorages, so what did they do give me iron tablets, which also dis-agreed with me, eventually had a haemorage that was life threatening, woke up in a pool of my own blood, at 4.30am, husband and son, really worried when I stood up i was blue around the lips and nose, bundled me in car and took me straight to hospital ER, when they saw me blue, saw me immediately, shocked faces when they saw my nightie, not pretty, but made the point, hysterectomy performed 10 days later after blood transfusion and D & C, turned out I had carcinoma in situ in uterus, and or uterine cancer, thank goodness still early days and had not advanced into pelvis.

• Posted

Hi

For some, the thought of jeopardizing the ability to bear children is the deciding factor. For others, they fear surgery. And yet others are concerned about the ramifications of hysterectomy.

Each of us must research and then soul search to come to the best decision for ourself.

kind regards

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.