Having a Mako PKR in 3 weeks

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Everyone! I'm Linda and I'm having an outpatient Mako PKR (robotic) on 7/26/17. I'm 61 and in good health and pretty active. (have a personal trainer and was walking a few miles/day before my knee pain). Has anyone had their PKR done using Mako? Would appreciate all tips, precautions, etc. Even if yours was not done robotically, I can use any guidance you care to share.

It seems most here have had TKR's, but my surgeon feels confident my arthritic damage is limited to the medial side. (although I do have intermittent pain on the lateral.) Makes me a bit nervous to go through just the partial and possibly have lateral pain after, but he feels in my case it's better to preserve as much of my own knee as possible as my lateral pain is not usually severe or constant.

It took me quite awhile to make the decision to have the surgery, but after almost 2 years of suffering through 2 rounds of Orthovist, arthroscopy for 2 torn menisci (with microfracture which btw my new surgeon would never do-horribly painful and didn't work!!), multiple weeks of PT and cortisone shots...and still can't walk to the end of the street without pain, I decided to go for it is definitely impacting my quality of life.

Thanks to all who have shared their knowledge so freely. I have been busily reading through as many discussions as I can. But to be honest, with surgery only 3 weeks away, I'm feeling somewhat overwhelmed. Making my detailed to-do lists, but not checking off a whole lot yet! I know I will have other questions...thanks in advance for your help.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Determine to be positive. ..It makes a world of difference...look forward to hearing all about it,
    • Posted

Thank you Jenny! Your encouragement and support really means a lot! I actually now may be having a TKR instead of a partial...lots more reading to do!
  • Posted

☺Forgot to add, apologies if already shared this, as cannot remember, but i wrote alot about pain manage men management in my personal account of TKR. ..

Take a look at my profile and skim through my blog if it helps. The page was written to convey the need for patience, something our cultures in the western world are not really geared up to! You can locate it in the menu at the right hand side of the blog.

• Posted

Wonderful...thank you Jenny! I remember in an earlier post you mentioned your blog but I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. Since I scheduled my surgery, it seems it has taken on a life of it's own! So much research to do and things to put in order...so little time with my date only 2 weeks away. On my to-do list for today! Oh you are so right about how challenging it is to find patience in this fast-paced world we live in. Our lives are so over-scheduled that we've lost sight of the meaning of patience and how to go about achieving it. Thanks agan for your encouragement and helpful information..it really means so much! Linda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.