Having a second Nissen Fundoplication

Posted , 5 users are following.

after diagnosis of a Hiatus Hernia around 15 years ago in 2004 underwent a Nissen Fundoplication which for a long time was very successful.  In last 2/3. Years been experiencing symptoms which worryingly thought might be heart related as do have poor cardiac history, but having tested positive for very high acid levels and no evidence of worsening heart issues, things are pointing towards possible failure or part failure of the Nissen wrap. Have had a Gastroscopy after which underwent courses of antibiotics for perceived Pylori infection affecting the intestine/wrap but am no better and now waiting for another Barium Swallow as been explained whilst the wrap was seen to be intact they could not tell if it is actually still in the right place. Apparently it can slip out of position. If this is the case doctors talking about redoing and just wondered has anyone been through this? As far as I can find out a repeat has less chance of success and comes with a few more risks attached. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I had a Nissen Fundoplication in June 2016. I have been experencing excessive gas and upset stomach since. Have you experced the same. As far has heart issue; I havve not.
    • Posted

What do u mean by upset stomach??u mean diarrhea or indigestion?
    • Posted

Stomach is always rumbling and more then my fair share of diarrhea
    • Posted

Not really had particular wind or upset stomach (at least for the first 10 years). More recently did have long period of diarrhoea which had thankfully passed. My issue is seem to have developed excessive chest discomfort and tests have confirmed acid levels c45% compared to 'norm' expected c 10%. Heartburn feeling I suppose and although might not be related also getting headaches. As said my palpitations seem to coincide with gastric symptoms worsening.  

• Posted

Do keep a certain diet and eat small meals
    • Posted

Upset stomach- stomach is rumbling and lots of air. Mostly at the end of the day my stomach would've extended with air

• Posted

NHS ARE SLOWER THAN A TORTOISE. BASICALLY HARDLY PROGRESSED AS SURGEON WHO IS CONSIDERING partial loosening of Fundoplication wrap decided wanted up to date motlitity tests. Being told the loosening will greatly worsen my acid reflux so caught between a rock and a hard place. basically trying to decide which is the lesser of two evils ...loosening wrap to cure gastric spasms or leaving to stop acid reflux worsening. I'll post when have any updates.

• Posted

HI I feel your painew. I have had 2 failed Nissan fundoplication. I am due to see a surgeon for a third surgery. I have added complications in that I have been diagnosed with oseghaghgeal spasm disorder.( this isa rare condition which causes the lower part of esophageagus to go into spasm and causes pain similar to that of chest pain.

I have chronic acid reflux and indigestion. I am unable to eat anything solid and have been on liquids and soft food for months. I am unable to lie flat and to be honset have acid reflux all the time

• Posted

HI I feel your painew. I have had 2 failed Nissan fundoplication. I am due to see a surgeon for a third surgery. I have added complications in that I have been diagnosed with oseghaghgeal spasm disorder.( this isa rare condition which causes the lower part of esophageagus to go into spasm and causes pain similar to that of chest pain.

I have chronic acid reflux and indigestion. I am unable to eat anything solid and have been on liquids and soft food for months. I am unable to lie flat and to be honset have acid reflux all the time

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.