Having a sleep deprived EEG and not been told anything

Posted , 3 users are following.

All letter says is don't go to sleep before 12 and get up at 3am, important fall asleep.

No idea of what the test involves or what will happen if I don't sleep, so am terrified and hoping someone can help with one or both parts of this question

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

• Posted

I have had one of these done. I was scared most of the night bc i was afraid i would seize up and no one was staying up with me. Distract your mind with something and just dont fall asleep. It will make the entire test invalid. They are trying to push you to the edge to see activity at its worst. Im sorry your going through that if ivwas with u id watch out for u. I had another seizure yesterday and i was alone scariest feeling in the world.
    • Posted

I am afraid of what will be done at the test and that as it says important fall asleep at test what happens if I don't.

No-one will be with me either overnight, travelling to and from the test on public transport or at the hospital itself.

I know nothing at all about this test and seeing it at it's worst seems to be saying this will cause a fit. I'm terrified

• Posted

They would like you to fall asleep to compare your brain waves between being awake and being asleep. During these two times, your brain waves have a certain pattern that they should follow. The EEG tests for abnormal waves. Some people have seizures during sleep. They will also have you close your eyes and flash a strobe light to see if that triggers a seizure. There will be a technician in the room with you monitoring the computer and asking you questions.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. It is unfortunatly highly unlikely I will fall asleep so I presume that means failure and can't do it
    • Posted

I didn't fall asleep during mine. The tech said it was OK, they just prefer you to fall asleep.
    • Posted

Thanks it was freaking me out that says important do on letter.

Mind if I ask if it was painful or invasive as I have been told nothing at all.

Thanks

• Posted

They stick electrode pads on your head and by your face. It's not painful at all. I don't know if you've ever had an EKG; it's like that only for your head. You will have some of the glue in your hair after they take them off, but it comes out in the shower. Mine lasted an hour. I just lied there and relaxed except when I had the seizures. The tech I had was very nice so that helped.
    • Posted

ECG and EKG are the same thing. It is an electrocardiogram, but it was originated in Germany so they spell it electokardiogram.
    • Posted

OK. So the electrodes are not uncomfortable metal that will dig in but just sticky pads?
    • Posted

Yes. They are pretty much the same as the pads for an ECG except stickier since they have to stick to hair. You barely feel them except the ones by your forehead, but they don't hurt.
    • Posted

Thanks for your help as I've been trying for a week to get these answers from the technician but he hasn't bothered to ring and never answers his phone, looked at my mobile and the last two days alone have made 116 calls to them, none of which were answered
    • Posted

No problem. I know it's scary not knowing what is going to happen. Make sure your hair is washed and dry and don't wear any hair products in it or they won't stick.
    • Posted

Their communication is such not even told me that, as I said in original post "All letter says is don't go to sleep before 12 and get up at 3am, important fall asleep.", anything else I need to know?
    • Posted

Epilim (sodium Valproate) for at least 25 yrs. Neurologist at that time said here's a prescription and discharged me from his clinic.

This Neurologist has added Keppra as lamotrogine, which my GP put me on was causing ataxia.

Last EEG was at 16 and showed epilepsy, I'm now 49, it was lost so no EEG's exist.

• Posted

Thanks for calming my fears. You have been helpful too in letting me know what to do. Wash hair and don't put hairspray on as I usually do, medication OK to take but not caffeine, so that is breakfast,lunch and afternoon pleasures scuppered the day before and breakfast the morning off!! It will be early as this hospital only does this type of EEG early which is why will have such a major impact on meals and breaks
    • Posted

I know. The no caffeine part was a killer. I'm a mountain dew drinker so I had to have some 7up instead.
    • Posted

No idea what I could replace it with, there is caffeine in tea. Unless I can force down decaff which I think has none/very little or should I forget that idea?
    • Posted

You can have decaff as long as it truly is decaffeinated. Did your neurologist order this test for you?
    • Posted

Knew he had ordered an EEG but not this and no idea why.

By the way the refferal was in May but they lost the letter, and it was only my pushing, as an urelated op to remove my ovaries, depends on this being done as if it is outstanding the anaesthetist will refuse to go ahead, at which point I realised things had gone wrong.

• Posted

Now that I think about it, you should double-check with your neurologist about taking the seizure medications the morning of the test.
    • Posted

Unfortunatly he is on leave and I probably not be able to get him till after the test
    • Posted

The promise of a phone call today by the hospital doing the EEG, that was not done has just caused me to burst into tears and shout at my sister who has just got in from work. She has stormed out of the house. Never felt so alone and afraid.
    • Posted

Sorry I vented at you, alot going on but that's no excuse when you've been so helpful
    • Posted

No problem and thanks for taking the time and trouble to do so as it has helped
    • Posted

Any time. It appears that it is not uncommon for offices to not properly inform patients anymore when it comes to medications and testing.
    • Posted

Just to let you know that when I arrived for the test it was to find I was expected to sleep on a hard, narrow examination couch in a room bang next to the hospital loading bay! No suprise not sleep then. Strobing lights were not used.

Going to moan at my neurologist as he needs to know referrals to this hospital may be a waste of time.

• Posted

That is a really idiotic place to have it. Have you got your results yet?
    • Posted

Need to see neurologist to get them, hospital not send them to patient as says not understand them. Won't see him until 16th Oct

• Posted

He's busy, appointment with him was made back in May so if Hospital had not lost original referral would have been even longer. Their policy is to send to Neurologist not you as say you not understand it. If appointment can'tbe brought forward, tough, mine is so busy routine appointments such as this are now being booked for March at the earliest, so fortunate mine already made.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.