Having a TKR in one week-looking for healthy post-op food ideas

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello Friends! With my date coming up quickly, I'm working hard getting everything organized. (and keeping my nerves in check!) Looking for healthy meal and snack ideas that you found appealing and easy to digest in the early days after surgery. I have already have a big batch of chicken soup in the freezer ready to go (plus some easy dinners for later.) Of course there's always simple things like scrambled eggs, toast, oatmeal, etc. Just wondering what you were able to eat to keep up your energy for PT and healing. Thanks so much! I've been busy reading through as many pages here as I can...the information and support I have found is invaluable!

Linda

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi, hope your op will go smoothly.

Being in pain and on meds etc can affect appetite - it did for me post op and I could only manage child size portions for a while. So light meals are great and I had lots of smoothie mixes and soups, protein drinks and similar to ensure good nutrition for healing.

?The easier the better as you might not feel like standing around preparing - if anyone can help that is great. I get my weekly big shop delivered since surgery and love it! Much less stressful and I tend not to spend as much by ordering online. I don't think I'll go back to the stress of dragging around the supermarket, although I now might pop in for odd things, it is much more relaxed! And worth the delivery charge as not using petrol or paying parking.

?At first post op. I had no energy or concentration so it was all I could do to watch TV or spend a bit of time online, so make sure you have lots of sitting down hobbies and music, films, box sets and the like ready to occupy you that are not too taxing.

• Posted

Several things I found post-op. My taste buds were different, things I liked before did not taste the same after for example orange juice and coffee. Also I could only eat small portions. If you cook please be careful, I almost set my stove on fire. My biggest problem was the constipation from the pain meds. I was so backed up the eating was uncomfortable. When I do the other knee I was have something available to help with that - more high fiber foods and supplements 
  • Posted

Anything with iron in!

You don't know quite what you will feel like eating, but because of constipation, bear in mind fibre good!😆

• Posted

Oh, and nuts! If you like them great. I brought lots of high fibre protein bars from the health food shop. Very useful! Rather expensive though!
  • Posted

More important than food is water. People have a tendency to get worn out from dehydration far more readily than they do from lack of food. I always kept ice cream handy for my 2 a.m. feeding.

You probably will find a noticeable decrease in appetite so fresh fruits and veggies are by far the besttgi vs going. Up your protein intake as the body needs energy/strength type foods but stay away from sugar and diet drinks ad they really mess with your system. Any good to replenish blood loss asap as bleeding is one is the things they don't talk about in polite circle. Not to try and scare people but I've had to have blood with of the the 5 times I've would up with full rehab. It happens that's why, at least in the US you have to sign an advance directive that you will allow blood transfusions if needed. (They avoid lawsuits before they happen). Don't over prepare as you'll n e throwing away stuff after this is over. Again...health foods and lots of water.

• Posted

Such wonderful Ideas...I knew I could count on this group to give me the "straight scoop!" It's not that I don't know what kinds of foods to choose as I eat very healthfully (lost quite a bit of weight and kept it off for 10 years). It's being able to get practical advice from true warriors of this surgery that is beyond helpful. For sure, maintaining iron levels will be crucial as this has always been quite a challenge for me during normal times. And oh yes, staying on top of the constipation will be quite important. Thank you again for all the great tips and encouragement. I would truly be lost without this incredible group! Linda

• Posted

Hi LindaSue. You have received awesome input. All I might add is lentils, chickpeas, dried apricots and prunes. They are wonderful bulking foods for your system and full of nutrition. And water, lots of water. Relax and go with the ride. The post op time was for me, a time of rest and revival. X
    • Posted

One additional.....keep mirilax and class handy in case the opioid do their dirty work, putting the digestive system in a bind. Also, I bought the. Blue gel ice packs. Ylou can get them at most discounters and Amazon. They mold around the leg and refreeze in a hurry. No messy melting ice to mess with and having to replace. Just be sure and wrap them in a towel or old pillow case as they will burn bee skin
    • Posted

Mirilax/constipation...  Yes...it happens most frequently with the codeine-based opioids (hydrocodone, Norco, Vicodin, Co-Codomol).  Confirmed by NIH.  The effect is less with thebaine-based opioids (oxycodone, Percocet).  If you have the problem, consider switching the meds...same pain killing effect with less chance of constipation.
    • Posted

Oh yes indeed on the Miralax! On my surgeon's recommendation, I got an ice machine.  Thanks fo ryour input...much appreciated.

• Posted

I'm going to be taking Nucynta (have both extended release and short acting) as I can't have anything with codeine in it. Still prepared for constipation with Miralax. I also eat flax and chia seeds along with lots of great high fiber foods regularly and will resume them when I'm back to a more normal diet.

• Posted

Eat healthy, lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, salads with nuts and beans (kidney, garbanzo, etc...complex carbohydrates), lean protein, hydrate a lot, cut out all junk food and artificial sweeteners (the latter trick your body into thinking it has energy when it doesn't), skip the burger joints, start reducing your sugar intake (fruit juices are pure sugar in the form of fructose), eat multiple small meals a day, don't eat after 9pm, find a good probiotic for gut health...

My daughter has been a nutritionist and certified personal trainer for 17 years.  She says that the most complete BALANCED diet she's ever encountered was the LA Weight Loss Diet.  No fads like zero carbs or zero fats or other such "Atkins"-like stuff.  She recommends it as a very good, balanced food intake program.

There are other pre-TKR discussions on the Forum that discuss preparing your house (get rid of throw rugs), kitchen, bathroom, etc.  However, you must prepare yourself for this event, and its aftermath, mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually...ALL of the above!  You need to go into this with eyes wide open understanding the very likely possibility of a lot of pain, heavy-duty meds, interrupted sleep, lots of painful PT work and subsequent strength exercising.  You need to prepare for a year-long recovery and be thankful if you get past it sooner than the rest of us.  There are expectations of what this will be like and then there's the reality.  I truly hope that your DNA does not produce any scar tissue and that you skate past this in 60 days...highly unlikely but we all pray to be that one special case who gets away with it.

Click on my picture and then "See All Discussions".  I have lots of posts out there that could be of help (meds, sleeping, post-op depression, exercising, expectations, etc.).  Also, there's a lady named Jenny on here who has a fabulous off-site blog on her experience. Lots of other Oracles (#6's) on here like OldFatGuy1 and MartinNavello (I probably screwed up his handle) that have more great discussions posted.  We're here to help.  Stay in touch.

• Posted

All great suggestions Chico...thanks again. Excess sugar and processed foods haven't been part of my diet in over 10 years. I managed to lose about 85 pounds by embracing a clean eating lifestyle and have successfully kept it off. You must be so proud of your daughter and I'm sure she has given you excellent advice! 

I don't know what I would do without this Forum. The insights I have gained plus the incredible support I have found here are simply invaluable. Although my surgeon gave me a "detailed" preparation manual for before and after, the info provided was a drop in the bucket compared to what I'm learning here. I so appreciate the straight talk. Otherwise in no way would I have been prepared in terms of realistic expectations.

I would be lying if i didn't say this surgery wasn't affecting my anxiety issues, especially after learning here how long and involved the recovery process can be. Like most of us I'm sure, my life is already so full between work, family responsibilities and other "stuff," that it's difficult to imagine how much things will change very soon. Also, although I am no stranger to surgery (most major one was my abdominoplasty due to extreme weight loss), I have never experienced one that cuts through bone. So yeah, I'm scared about pain control as I can't take anything with codeine. Praying the Nucynta works! 

I have been reading through (some more than once) all of your very helpful discussions as well as many of the others as I can like OldFatGuy1's. And Jenny's blog has been so eye-opening! With my TKR next week,  really wish I found this forum earlier!

Thanks again...I promise to keep in touch. Linda

• Posted

LindaSue,  I was one of the few people that did not have backup issues with the OxyCodone.  Breakfast daily was oatmeal with fresh fruit and walnuts, lunch was yogurt with fresh fruit, dinner lean meat and small portions of two vegi's.  All I drank was water.....it will make all the difference in the world.  Smoothie type drinks and fresh fruit for snacks.

good luck to you and be sure to prepare your home.  It will be Ok.

Pam

• Posted

Thanks Pam! This is pretty much how I normally eat so I'm sure I'll be fine. This weekend I'm making some breakfast energy "cookies" as well as some omelet muffins you see all over online. I love to cook plus it will give me something to do to keep my nerves in check. Thanks again.

Linda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.