Having a TURP in March....

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm in the final stages of Metastatic Prostate Cancer...My flow has just about dried up and as a result have been passing kidney stones as my bladder is only purging 45% urine..

I'm having the TURP procedure to give my urether more flow from the enlarged prostate....

I'm just a bit worried as to the cancerous prostate being lasered and the side affects after the procedure and infection..

Can you give me any of your experiences from having TURP..

Thanks Ken

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

hi ken,

get a bunch of opinions from different urologist/oncologists - for some odd reason, my MRI scan noted a "TURP defect", whatever that is... crazy, because i haven't had a TURP done... defectively or otherwise! 

not sure what you mean by final stages... are you on chemo, hormones or radiation treatments? how distant are the metastases? will you be on antibiotics for the TURP? heard bad things about Cipro, i'd opt for something else.

good luck, amigo.

• Posted

ok, just read some of your history off your homepage here -- wow. been through the mill, buddy. i saw a few guys using zytiga, ALL in conjunction with prednisone and Lupron. dunno if that helps... 
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply Rich...I'm stickin' with the one Urologist....I suppose that with the original prognosis of the cancer being Advanced inoperable,metastatic prostate cancer,and only to have Radiation Treatment for palliative pain when the time time comes...I'm happy that I was too far advanced for Chem and Rad...I've had and still have a great mindset to this episode in my life and quite prepared in the final stages of the cancer...

I have opted not to have Zytiga as I have a very good quality of life especially since I've become castrate resistant and have stopped taking the Bicalutamide....

Google final stages....relating to Metastatic Prostate cancer...

Thanks 

Ken

• Posted

Ken

I'm also Stage 4 metastatic and had a TURP over a year ago. Wonderful outcome! Ready availability of P stops is no longer a vital feature of everyday life and it's just one loo trip each night.

Mine involved an old-time electric cutter, rather than a laser. I opted for general anaesthetic rather than local , because I'm a squeamish wimp. Thus all I knew about anything was being knocked out, then woken up almost instantly from a lovely sleep by some idiot who thought I'd much prefer to have some tea and toast right at that moment ;-)

Worst moment (though painless) was the sloshy SLUURP as the catheter was withdrawn after a day or so, once the medics were happy that the bloodiness of the bag contents had subsided and I had demonstrated abilty to pee normally a couple of times. Walked out of the ward homeward bound, felt a bit rough overall next day. Thereafter ordinary recovery as after, say, a heavy cold and everything hunky dory ever since in the waterworks department. It doesn't alter the fact of the cancer itself, of course, but it certainly made life somewhat easier.

Ordinarily, a reaction to this much detail could well be "Eeeuuuw" but this is a medical site and I presumed you'd want something more than a vague reassurance.

Cheers

Another Ken

• Posted

From one Ken to another...Good morning from The Land of the Long White Cloud.......

Ken,Thanks for the reassuring reply....You have answered most of my concerns especially the one related to the cancerous prostate....and the overall post-op side affects etc...

I have a high tolerance to pain and medical procedures.

I've done well to be in my 5th year of the cancer.Especially that I was too far advanced for Chemo and Radiation treatment which I think has fared me well.But all this must come to an end sometime eh...

I hope your journey is long and your mindset and well-being is strong and positive.

Keep in touch and we can share our ride.

Kia Kaha

Ken

• Posted

You're welcome, Ken.

5 years, eh?

That perks me up a bit, as I'm just approaching three and awaiting Thursday's hospital clinic with some trepidation. My PSA had come down progressively from a ridiculously high start level to hover between mid 20s and low 30s. Last month it leapt up significantly and so we're waiting to find out whether it was because my body went haywire with flu over Christmas/New Year period or else it indicates that the experimental drug combo is ceasing to be effective. That would be a pity, because so far things have been a bit unreal, in that I mostly felt alright in myself; it's just that I get easily fatigued, whether from drugs, cancer, old age or sheer bloody laziness.Then, from time to time, I get sudden bursts of energy and have to tackle some of the list of heavy gardening and DIY

Thank you for your encouraging words. I hope to emulate you in timescale and mindset.

• Posted

Yo Ken...In the last 8 weeks my PSA has gone from 23 urg/lt to 39.7 urg/lt...I had become castrate resistant about November last year...prior to that I was slowly having the problems with urination escalating..Having been on Bicalutimide for 8 months the side affects  were damaging...Bad bone pain in the thighs,knees and ankles..Trouble walking,anxiety getting abit short tempered etc...just was fair on my wife an my mate that I worked with so with the rising PSA and the urinary problems associated with the enlarged prostate we decided to pull the pin on the Bicalutimide and just continue with the Zoladex injection once a month and concentrate on my quality of life that I have...

I'm like you...I haven't felt better but I do get fatigued at times....

I'm 69 this year..

Live in New Zealand.

Keep up the positive attitude and have the decisions that are best for your quality of life...

• Posted

ironic, the decisions and perspectives we come to eventually. i remember thinking the life without great sex whenever i wanted would not be worth living. now it's all about staying alive without bags hanging off me. i can tell when that decision has to be made, i'll probably think "well, bags ain't so bad; at least i can watch TV, eat a meatball parmesan hero once in a while..." -- saw an interesting tragicomedy with Ms. Sally Field, Two Weeks (2006). she dies of cancer but at least there were some good laughs along the way. the one with debra winger was good also but top heavy on the pathos.

• Posted

Yer Rich. The old saying. If it ain’t there you won’t miss it. Lmao. 5 years of it ain’t there hasn’t been the end of the world. Pre cancer my life was full but my wife said that we have had a great relationship and it’s not the end of everything. After 38 years of marriage we still have our love and support. 

Life is good. Almost. 

• Posted

ah, if you have a good wife, you got the world by the balls... almost. i still climax but without erection. ain't as good but it will do. when that too is gone, i'll be grateful just to be alive. life may not be a bowl of cherries but who knows if there's anything after it?

• Posted

Hi again, Ken#1

At some stage, sooner or later, I'll be facing the same situation,i.e. cessation of Abiraterone/Enzalutamade/Prednisolone combo, though continuing with 3 monthly Triptorelin injection. Like you, quality of remaining life is an important factor so I'm not inclined to clutch at potent medicinal straws that ruin the day!. (It would a different matter if  was younger and an arduous therapy of some sort or another stood a chance of resulting in a cure).

I'm so grateful that you shared your encouraging and positive take on the subject and it will certainly guide my decision-making.

I'm 73 this year, living in England.

All the best

Ken#2

• Posted

Ken ; my husband Dave had this procedure done in 2015 and it helped tremendously.  It was painless and they did follow up with a post op anibiotic. He had celulitous infections on a couple of occasions probably due to to weekened immune after chemo ext. So find out about infection prevention post op . Best of luck to you 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.