Having an endoscopy tomorrow- nervous and questions ??

Posted , 7 users are following.

hiii, i'm 19 years old and i'm having an endoscopy tomorrow and i'm nervous

i think i'm going to opt for sedation but i'd like to ask what sort of experience it's likely to be? i'm an anxiety patient and i'm worried that i'm going to have a negative experience.

in particular, what sort of state will i be in during the sedation ?? will i be allowed to bring my parent in with me during the procedure ?? 

i'm also sort of worried about the cannula because the last time i had a cannula, my arm swelled up and it wasn't pleasant (my veins are small), will they wait until i'm woozy until they start the procedure because i'm slightly worried about that ??

thank you for your help

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I just had an endoscopy done a few weeks ago and I was so super nervous and 1000 things and worst nightmares went through my had before... and I can tell you.. it’s not worth it. You won’t feel anything and you will laugh about it afterwards that you were so worried. Just don’t take that spray for your mouth. You don’t need it when you are 😴 sleeping anyways : )

And don’t I  worry about the IV .. everybody does it differently and you might just had a bad experience the last time. I felt just a little pinch (tip: I usually pinch myself the same time somewhere else so I won’t feel it anyways that bad).

• Posted

Hi Georgia,

Try not to worry about this, they do loads of endoscopies and they will be well used to tiny veins.  Tell them that your arm swelled up last time.

You are right to have sedation, I am guessing you are having camera down into your tummy, sedation is always best as far as I'm concerned as its a struggle swallowing the camera.

Yes they will wait until you are sedated, but this will happen quickly.

I would imagine your parent will be just allowed to sit in the next room while you are sleeping.  It all happens very quickly, you will be in and out before you know it.

Good luck Georgia hope it all goes well.

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi

Opt for sedation, you won’t feel a thing. When you wake up up, you’ll have a slight sore throat, but it’s nothing, it goes away in no time. Everyone gets it. It’s straightforward. 👍

• Posted

Don't sweat it. They will put you under local anesthesia. You won't remember a thing. You will be fine. Good Luck.

• Posted

Opt for the throat spray; sedation can cause nasty side effects.  However, everyone is different.
  • Posted

Opt for the sedation.  It's over before you know it, and you won't feel a thing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.