having an operation in breast area due to Hematoma )Maybe caused by also new blood thinner Xarelto.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello

It has been a while since I posted but I now need help 

I. HAS anyone had an operation while on the NEW blood thinner PLAVIX (which has NO Antidote (unlike Warfarin which does) ??

2. AFIB  sufferers ,Please explain your symptoms  of AFIB and medications you take..

I was diagnosed with AFIB 2 years ago and .I seem to have no symptoms  but EKG says it is AFIB,

I am at my wits end trying to decide  whether to risk surgery (DANGER if I have to stop the PLAVIXand DANGER  to have an op  with AFIB (even a local one ( unless given a drug to bridge the gap ..still risky with AFIB...because of an operation and possible bleeding)

They switched me from Xarelto to PLAVIX a milder  blood hinner 

Thetyswitched  me from the first NEW blood thinner Xarelto which is  expensive and I think it caused a himotoma in my mastctomy breast ( which was reconstructed 12 years ago nowt ( NOW has  hardened now and needs to be replaced BUT most dcctors rs AND myself are nervous to do even if taken off  the new blood thinner Blood thinners .

So to ramble but I am a bit pannicked doctors have different opinions, as to the dangers of operating in my breast to remove the rock hard implant with a himotoma (Blood collection around the implant ) needs  operation even a liocal may bleed excessively and NO antidote on this drug PLAVIX  (unlike Warfarin , which Does)

Thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Can't you just be switched onto warfarin for the operation and then go back to your usual blood thinner post op? I was on Apixaban (which also has no antidote) and needed an ablation, so was switched to warfarin a couple of weeks prior to the operation.

I struggled with getting my warfarin levels correct and they were  a bit low on the date of the ablation, so was was 'topped up' with a bit of extra heparin (a quick acting, short term acting blood thinner that doesn't last that long in your system; so I was told- have no reason to doubt it). During the operation.

I was allowed to go back on Apixaban immediately after the ablation ( and was very happy to; I didn't like the regular blood tests and having my INR levels 'bouncing' all over the place).

• Posted

good post thank you Simon but If you read my experience re not being able to get blood from my potato arm (I can only use ONE  arm for injections or BP tests due to mastectomy)... for risk of my arm swelling permently ( lymphodema ) so   blood takes way too long and sometimes they get none ,,cannot risk that with warfarin. and operation.....oh well I may have to use harparin or  the newer drug my doctor recommended  too tired to remember the name  It like  Harperin  sp? acts as a bridge between the taking off the Plavix or ANY blood thinner VERY dangerous risk of Stroke or hear t attack if stop cold turkey..oh well thank you anyway...I wish you well and envy people with veins...

_  good noght and thank you all..I just finished researv=ching online Pradaxa and my doc os right oit lost out AFTER it was approved and they found that it caused more gastro bleeding than warfarin ...and for me with ulcerated Colon is a bad riisk for a bleed ..I have all things stacked against me BUT I will keep the faith.. maybe I have to wait for more results hopefully the dste given is Auh=gust 17th Pryers for all of us WE NEED AN ANTIDOTE ...I think we should be able to risk taking which has already been approved by AMA . (just waiting for red tape ,,OR mayne hold up because the newer drugs are VERY expensive and Pharms would lose billions if we could stop them ....better than risking death from bleed out  while operating ...

• Posted

i, too, am on eliquis. i have no insurance however and it is quite expensive. are u inUK or canada? is it cheaper overseas?

did your ablation work? i have taked to u before on forum, but i get people mixed up on what they have had done.

• Posted

Hi afiblady, I'm in Adelaide, South Australia.

ablation was on April 20 this year, so early days; too soon to call it a success at this stage, but so far,so good.

I am part of an Afib study and have a Medtronic 'loop recorder' implanted in my chest that monitors me for any Afib episodes and haven't had any during the 3 month 'blanking period' (which is almost over). Hoping this continues.

Have lost about 15kgs as instructed by my EP and now have a BMI of 25(for the first time in 25 years!(I'm 50 y/o).

Australia has the PBS (pharmaceutical benefits scheme). Any medication that is listed on the PBS by the government costs the consumer a maximum of $37 and the government pays the difference. Eliquis is listed on the scheme, so it only costs me AU$37 per box

• Posted

thanks so much for info. hope for great success w your ablation. i understand the process of afib and not really knowing unless u r continually monitored. my ablation was july 11 and i feel good. i am 69 w a75 pound overweight problem. working on it! not diabetic, good bp( except when in afib). not a drinker or smoker. hoping for the best also.

thanks

• Posted

Hi, It sounds like you are Asymptomatic like me, in which you notice very few if any symptoms. I have been in Persistent AF for 9 months and the only symptoms i have are occasional breathlessness and fatigue.
  • Posted

i just had an ablation this past monday. i am on eliquis and only skipped the morning dose. am doing fine so far. even if u dont have afib symptoms ypur heart is not beating effectively and will eventually cause fluid buildup, short of breath, and other problems.

my doctorwould not even do a colonoscopy till my afib was addressed. i am sure your breast problemis secondary to afib. coumadin is what u should ask for if your concerns are for a thinner w a reversal agent.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.