having angiogram and worried

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a regular stress test done and they told me it was inconclusive so I had a Nuclear Stress test done ordered by a cardialogist. 5 days later my regular doctor called and said that the results indicated that I need to have an angogram done with possible stents. When I called the cardioligists ofice they said the request had already been sent to the hospital and I would be notified when they had an opening. I'm worried now that something may happen to me. Does anyone know how serious this really is?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have had two stress tests and a stress echocardigram that caused them alarm. One said that I needed a baloon angioplasty the next day and was not allowed home as I might fall down dead. Each time they were false positives and my arteries were clear.

Nothing is serious until you know for certain. Stents are no problem nowadays and cure the problem. I've met people who have had stents fitted over a period of years. One person had ten.

• Posted

I had a Myocrardial  Perfusion Scan,did not want a Angiogram.

It did the trick,but if you must have an Angiogram,have it,it is very routine and safe apparently.

The only other thing I was told,was if it was serious,I would have heard straight away.

Best of luck,it will  be alright.

• Posted

I would have thought they would do a echo-cardiogram before they tried an angiogram.

Thats what they did for my husband, but he had a serious problem, when they realised they admitted him to the hospital and kept him there until they worked out what was going on.

From there they worked there way up from x-ray, cat scan, echo, angiogram, and the results of the angiogram were amazing they told us, he did not have blocked or clogged arteries and did not need the angio at all, but until it was done they were unsure.

He has a heart failure issue, caused by a virus, one side of his heart is all weakened and stretched out, dialated cardiomyopathy, really really scary to see him so ill, from being so well just a few weeks earlier, and Dr's saying to me they did not even know if he would survive.

I had to agree to the angiogram as he was not able to sign for himself, very careful to tell me that it might make him worse but needed doing to establish what was going on and eliminate the possibility of blocked arteries, and if they were blocked to clear up that block.

They got control of his virus and from there he is now over 6 years on and doing very well, on medication, echocardiogram's every six months to monitor how he is going, even Dr's amazed he is doing so well.

• Posted

Hi everyone, I am back after having two stents put it. I had one artery 97% blocked one 90% blocked and 1 70% blocked. They did not stent the 70% artery at the time of my angiogram. For a short period after having the stents put in I felt fine. Then little by little the shortness of breath and chest pain started coming back. I told my doctor about this and he said that the stents had fixed the problem and basically don't mention it again. My cardiologist office called me for my 6month check up and a treadmill stress test. I told him at that time what my doctor said and he just shook his head. After having the stress test he told me that my ECG was fine and he did not know why I was having pain. Said he would look into it and get back to me. I am worried because the last time I had that tread mill test it was inconclusive and I had three blockages. The cardiologist said that they don't like to do angiograms this close together. That was 3 weeks ago and I still haven't heard anything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.