having ankle replacement surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi,   I previously told you about my car accident Feb of 2011.  It was a head on collision which I'm grateful to be alive and they saved my foot. My ankke was shattered and leg broke  I'm in pain everyday and its always swollen I've had 4 surgeries  I went for xrays a few weeks ago and they said it has deteriorated badly in the last two years.  I have nearly no motion in my ankle at all.  So I've decided to have an ankle replacement done.  I know they said I will not get my motion back the injury was to severe but I want to remain hopeful miracles do happen.  The doctor says he can relieve my pain and improve the quality of my life.  So the surgery is on December 6th.  I will let you all know how it went.  I hope it works.  Maybe 5th times the charm lol.  You have all been so supportive after I first wrote on here thanks for making me not feel alone.  Debi

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debi, I'm sorry you're in pain every day and dealing with constant swelling.  But I am glad they are going to do the surgery and I hope it goes well.  At least you will have the surgery over and done with, before Christmas.

?I had hardware put in my L. ankle on Friday, May 13trh (of this year) and my L. ankle is now frozen.  No ROM.  I can move my toes and maybe move my ankle 2% or so, but it's stiff and won't bend forward, backwards, left or right.  I limp every single day and it's worst at night and early morning.  I realize I'll probably limp the rest of my life.  Some people only limp for a few weeks or months, I guess.  But considering it's been almost 6 months for me, I've pretty much determined it's permanent.  My doctor said it was probably frozen but too early to tell - but that was 3 months ago.

?Back to you!  Sorry to get off subject!  I am glad your doctor can relieve your pain. I can't imagine being in constant pain like that.  I hope the 5th time is the charm for you and the last time!  You've been through enough!!  Good luck and I hope everything goes well for you. 

?Bethbiggrin

• Posted

Thanks for your well wishes. I've been limping for 6 years the doctor says if all goes well I shouldn't limp anymore that would be awesome. I live alone and I'm single this limp doesn't help lol. I said I lost my sexy strut!!! Lol hope to get it back. Hope you are doing well thanks again

• Posted

Hi Deb,

December 6 is a good day...I wish only for a fabulous outcome! Five is a good number...five is the number of grace

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Thank you I'm really scared but I have to do this I appreciate your encouraging words

• Posted

Hi Debi

I am so sorry you have been through so much.  I know pain can make you a  

different person. Surgery is scary but worth it to be pain free.  Here's wishing and praying that the new year will be pain free and happy wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.