Having anxiety about walking again after ankle surgery

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi,

I broke my ankle in 3 places after stepping off a curb and onto a stick or something. It was dark and I didnt see it. It was pretty traumatic as I had to call an ambulance and I was alone when it happened. I had surgery on my ankle for a trimaleolar fracture and I am 5 weeks post op still in a hard cast for another week. Since my accident I have a hard time sleeping (getting comfortable is hard). I keep replaying what happened in my mind. Im probably going to be put in a boot in a week and Im scared about actually putting weight on it. I know rationally that the dr wouldnt tell me too if they werent sure it was healing properly but Im still scared. Im scared that Im going to break my ankle again or I wont be able to do the things I used before the accident. Has anyone had this problem? I feel like Im going crazy.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi my name is Tanya I broke my right Ankle on July 29 , 2020 I had surgery on Aug 18th I waited 2 weeks to see if the ankle will heal because I did not want surgery. I followed up with the Dr. 2 weeks after the break and suggested that I see a surgeon, so I told his advice in consult with that surgeon the same day., he gave me 2 advice to have surgery now and you will start the hearing process or go into a cast for several month not knowing if you will heal in at that point you may need a major surgery with skin grafts in all that so I took his first advice and the surgery the following week on my right lateral malleolus of the right fibula plus syndesmosis repair, I was non weight bearing in a splint cast for 2 weeks then post surgery doctor put me in a cast for 6 more weeks than removed my staples then he recast me for 4 weeks got of that recast me in walking cast with shoe boot the walking air cast is what I'm using right now. Every one say I should be walking on my own but I'm not. Dr. will follow up.with me in three weeks which is next week then he states i will start therapy. Ive been so depressed not being able to drive in still not walking with out crutches yet , I think the fear of walking scares me I try and I can't I try .to google how to walk in air cast boot but i see no post about actually walking in a air boot I get so frustrated with my self cause here we are in Nov and I'm still not walking on my own can any one give me some advice.

• Posted

I broke my ankle July 2, I am still having fear of walking. I need support to walk and it’s driving me nuts. I am glad i am not alone . -any suggestions to get past the fear?

• Posted

I am glad I found this. I broke my ankle in 3 places last week while overseas. It was a nightmare getting home but I am back and had surgery yesterday! I was given crutches but am too scared to use them. My fear now is not recovery but of life after recovery. This was so traumatic that I have a totally irrational fear that it will happen again. I think someone mentioned counseling. Anyway, I hope you have fully recovered by now!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.