Having anxiety after catheter heart ablation along with ringing in the ears. Ablation 2/1/2017.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Forums new to me but I am feeling anxious, ringing in ears and not sleeping after 2/1/17 heart ablation. Help anyone?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I expect youre stressed as to whether the ablation has worked or not? So anxious on this front thats stopping you from sleeping. I became hypersensitive to my  heart beat through my ears when I was having AF. It was one way once my head touched a pillow I knew how bad the episode was! 

Youre still in the "blanking" period too when the heart is still healing itself when the heart can still "lump and bump". As for sleeping not going to sleep, waking up and being unable to go back to sleep? Generally speaking after 2/3 nights with disturbed sleep I will crash out anyway.

Several no nos - dont sleep during the day, no caffeine before bedtime, no TV in bedroom. If you've got any aches or pains, take a couple of paracetamol an hour or so before going to bed... Try not to get too worried about disturbed sleep. I have a friend who gets in a state if she wakes up in the night, thinking we should stay asleep! We dont and its nothing to worry about...

• Posted

Thank you so much for your encouragement. You are so right about being anxious about ablation not working. I keep hearing about this blanking period but I'm not seeing anything about how people feel during this time. Do you gradually feel some improvements? I'm just not sure if what I'm experiencing is normal so that causes more anxiety. I'm almost 3 weeks past ablation.

• Posted

What do we feel during the so called " blanking" period ie our symptoms are blanked by the cardiologist! In a word anxiety!!! Being AF free is important so yes its a difficult time to get through. I had two failed ablations where problems began fairly quickly after each procedure. The cardiologists involved were not interested until the 3 month blanking period was over,  saying that it did take the heart some time to heal. GPs and other cardiologists were a bit concerned and as it turned out they were correct. I kept ending up in A&E as GP's discovered my heart rate and having to stay the night..

My last ablation though was perfect from the word go...such bliss! So try and relax and hope for the best!

• Posted

Thank you! Every time I feel anxious I'm going to reread your post. My follow up appointment isn't until March 15 but I am going to try and relax and not worry too much. We'll see how that goes smile

• Posted

It seems close but I'm not sure what Dr.  will tell me except, "It takes time".  So depressing sitting around not doing much. 

• Posted

What would you normally be doing? Youre nearly at the end of the 3 month period so can start doing things again...maybe not climbing Everest but there's no need to sit around. You need to get fit and stay fit. I was a pile of fat and loose muscle, badly out of shape. It was a long climb back. Borrow a dog and go for a walk!

• Posted

I'm only at the 3 week period not 3 month period. Not sure what I should or should not be doing. The last few days I've been very shaky.

• Posted

I'm sorry I seem to have confused your app of March 15th as your 3 month follow up? My apologies! You say in your first post that your ablation was 2/1/17. Is that a mistake? As this makes it approx 7 weeks ago? 

Live your life normally and gently, your heart needs the exercise but gently does it.

• Posted

No 2/1/17 is February 1. Today is February 21. Yesterday was 3 weeks. I guess I'll just have to continue to be patient. Just hard to do much with shakiness ,ear ringing and weird visual disturbances.

• Posted

Ahha! Not in the UK 2/1/17 is the 2nd of January. In the States?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.