Having anxiety problems for a few months now.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Started with headaches and pressure in the head. Had a MRI done it shows that I have a tumor in my pituitary gland. How do I handle the anxiety and the feeling of breathlessness?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Most importantly, pituitary tumours ("adenomas" ) are almost always benign. Secondly, although it is in your head, it is outside your brain so it is not a brain tumour,

What it may be doing (it did in my case) is stop the pituitary doing its job in regulating many of the other hormones in the body. When I got onto the various HRTs, I felt enormously better. So you are definitely coming out of the tunnel.

Probably they will do an op to remove it. Nowadays this a simple, painless operation.

Contact pituitary.org.uk [UK & IE) or your national association for a lot of helpful info.

• Posted

On your specific question, the breathlessness is most likely caused by the stress of being told you have a tumour. Talk to your GP, your practice can arrange a telephone call much more quickly and easily than getting an appointment. Maybe a tranq for a few days would help. Maybe just being reassured will be enough,

Interesting how different people react in different ways. For me, it was a huge relief to finally have an answer. 

• Posted

sorry to hear about the anxiety. You might be able to get counselling via your GP. Failing that, look for the Macmillan counsellors - they might have an office at the hospital. Although your tumour is benign they sometimes do provide support.

Also, have you been on the website of the Pituitary Foundation? They do some booklets and there might be something useful there,

One piece of advice which I was once given and which has proven very useful is to be careful about what you read online. There is a lot of rubbish as you have probably seen. Try to stick to reliable websites which provide information based on fact. 

Wishing you all the very best as you get through this phase.

• Posted

I’m sure you feel overwhelmed by the discovery of the tumor, but that really could be a great thing in disguise. You’ve likely been living with symptoms you didn’t know were attributed to it which now will go away with proper treatment to reduce the size of the tumor.  Cabergoline is a magic drug that literally saved my marriage as it made mine go away even taking just a very low dosage.  Takes a few weeks to get past initial side effects (headaches for me) but then but then things like my libido and energy level came roaring back to me.  Hang in there.  Things will only get better from this point on.
    • Posted

Did you have pressure in your head and problem with overactive bladder?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.