having asthma issues but not typical symptoms of wheezing...

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was sick about 3 weeks ago with I think the flu. About 10 days after I was sick I started having asthma symptoms and went to urgent care. The doctor could not hear wheezing and my O2 sats were 99%. After explaining my prior experiences with asthma...I was given a zpac, prednisone and albuterol solution for nebulizer. Yesterday I had a physical with GP and she heard wheezing deep in my lungs and said I am definitely having some issues and she prescribed singulair for 2 months. She is concerned I'm using my rescue inhaler so much. It is difficult to explain my symptoms when I am having trouble. It's like a tightness of some sort. I would like to hear other people's experiences with asthma who show no outward signs of wheezing and what they do to manage it. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi K7, sorry you are wheezing. Before I comment on that, I wonder why the er gave you antibiotics. Did you have a bacterial infection? Most modern health providers do not advocate giving patients zpacs or other antibiotics as a "preventive" measure. The flu is a viral illness and antibiotics do not help. The exception is if your lungs or bronchii become infected. As to the wheezing, sometimes it is going to be louder than others, and sometimes it goes away altogether . I have gotten up in the morning wheezing so loudly you wouldn't need a stethoscope to hear it. But sometimes when I get to the doctor, my chest has cleared up so well there's only a tiny bit of sound. I think your doctor was correct in prescribing the singulair. If your asthma symptoms are mild, singulair should get it under control. The other hallmark symptoms of asthma are coughing and shortness of breath. There are people with asthma who don't wheeze much but cough, but still feel like they cannot breathe. If you don't have any of these symptoms. .. only occasional wheezing... you might not even have asthma. It could be another cold. Or maybe you have reduced your exposure to allergens that trigger bad asthma attacks. Several years ago I gave away my main trigger... my cat. I stil wheeze a lot, but the s.o.b. is much much better. Now, I only worry about a full-blown asthma attack if I catch a bad cold. Unfortunately, a chest cold will land me in the hospital for 2 or 3 days, because my weakened, asthmatic lungs cannot handle the extra phlegm. I will need massive doses of iv steroids over a couple of days to open me up and get cleared out. Have you ever seen a pulmonologist? I recommend you make an appointment asap. You need an expert to help determine what's going on with you and the wheezing. Good luck

• Posted

Hi K79832,

I recommend you checking this website out if you want to learn more about asthma and its symptoms, it also helped with my asthma!

https://www.quro.ai/dictionary/asthma/

Hope this helps you too!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.