Having cystoscopy with sedation tomorrow.:(

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am finally having my flexible cystoscopy, to investigate microscopic hematuria, tomorrow morning. I am hoping nothing is found and am really stressing about the whole process. A lot of people on here have been very reassuring and helpful to me and I just wanted to thank them. I will post an update when I feel up to it. I'd love to just go for it and not have anything but the numbing gel but I have gotten myself so worked up about it it's the only way I can cope. Hopefully I will be able to come back on and reassure others.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I found it quite a simple procedure. I was also stressing but it was over in a flash. Had a rigid cystoscopy a few weeks later under general. Try not to stress (I know easier said than done) but I can assure you it's not that bad. Hope all goes well for you and keep us posted xx

• Posted

Thanks Elaine. Did you have your flexible without anaesthetic, apart from the numbing gel? My consultant did say that I could tell him on the day which way I wanted to proceed. I am following fasting instructions from midnight tonight but until the time comes I still don't know if i can cope with just numbing of the area. It's good that you have also confirmed that it wasn't too bad, lots of people have said that and they can't all be wrong. I'll post back afterwards!! Thanks again x

• Posted

I only had the numbing gel with the flexible. only a bit uncomfortable but nothing drastic and no after effects. Good luck xx
  • Posted

hi caz i had mine a week ago and he put double gel down my end and i took a diazepam i never felt a thing that diazepam really works makes you so relaxedmy results were inconclusive so have to have a biopsy done now under anesthetic hope all goes well with youxx
    • Posted

caz i to was in a state after my first one because it hurt so much but you will not feel anything under aneswthetic so stop worrying i am thinking of you as i was counting the days before mine so i know how you are feeling right now please be calm and safe xxx
    • Posted

Thanks Michael. I imagine it's harder for guys so well done for getting through it. Hope you do ok with biopsy and its all clear. if I can get a diazepam I'll certainly be taking it,. x

• Posted

i just asked the doc caz but dont take one if you goindg under anstethic i know its different for blokes but your still having a tube shoved in you haha i had bladder cancer and chemo and that was my latest cyscotopy he wasnt sure of some marks in my bladder thus a biopsy i am hoping its just scarring or inflammation you will be ok caz i nkow i cant say dont worry cus i did but just stay calm if you canxxxxxxxx
  • Posted

Hi, I've had about 11 of them and got my next one in April. The numbing gel is enough. They aren't painful just uncomfortable sometimes. Just try to relax, over in a few minutes. Once the scope is in it's fine. Honestly they are not as bad as you imagine. The second pee stings like mad though 😏

• Posted

Thanks again to all of you for sharing your experiences. Not looking forward to the pee afterwards but I gather it's only stingy for the first couple of days so I'll cope. Just praying nothing shows up that is suspicious and needs biopsy. Trying to remain positive and relaxed LOL. x

• Posted

Only the first pee stung a bit. Nothing after that. Sure you will be fine. Be positive!
  • Posted

Hi I'm jay I'm male I'm having mine dine today at 4pm worried about it . Think I'm going to be knocked out as doc asked me if would like to be awake or sleep . Was told I may need catherta bag after for couple days .

• Posted

Hi James, given the option of local or sedation I'd go for sedation if you are as nervous as I was. They still use numbing gel as well. Stings when you pee for day or so. Don't know about catheter, if u have prostate problems it could possibly cause retention. I was able to go to loo easily. Good luck to you, keep us posted x

• Posted

jam es it s over now isnt it did it hurt mind you them catherters hurt they did me after my op

• Posted

caz hope all went well i still havnt heard for biopsy thingy

• Posted

Oh, the waiting for results must be hard Michael. Maybe this week? Yes, I got on ok. I have a post elsewhere on the forum with more detail. Stinging lasted 2 days but was bearable. Constipation from the sedative drugs is more bothersome at the minute. All was ok with my bladder which was a big relief. Let me know when you get your results. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.