Having difficulties sleeping

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello there,

I’m currently going through a phase where I just cannot sleep. Be it with, sleeping tablets (Zopiclone), benzodiazepines (Lexomil, Xanax) or a tablet we call in France; Tercian which is an antipsychotic with a tendancy to reduce anxiety and send you to sleep. 

I’m just going to go over my psychological history in a flash. 

I was victim of an armed robbery at gunpoint for my mobile phone whilst getting the tram. From that day I’ve been on Paroxetine (Paxil, Dexorat etc). Brilliant for social anxiety etc. But god all mighty the withdrawal is 100x worse that the initial problem (but that’s another story). 

Another weird time of the year came around and I got put on Olanzapine (Zyprexa) needless to stay that it cured obviously « the problem » which I’m sure could have been corrected with CBT but yet again that’s another story.  I just had a psychiatrist that had me try all the tablets known in that domain. 

So to put things into perspective I just lay in bed, wait, and watch the clock go by.  I’m starting to believe that I have got some sort of psychological sleep disorder and that I’m scared of falling asleep or something. I have developed an anxiety it seems at bedtime when I need to close my eyes, I’m just scared of how long it’s going to take etc. Urgh sick of it.  

Has anyone else ever gone through this bearing in mind it’s been at least two months and the Zopiclone 2x7,5mg (I know I should be taking) doesn’t even work anymore. 

I do a lot of research about psychotic drugs, I love it, a bit parodoxal for someone who is the pharmaceutical company’s laboratory « human »

Many ready might think I might abuse drugs; I don’t. They’ve just been kept in my cupboard as I was always given too much

Does anyone have an experience they could share?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, sorry to hear about your troubles. Have you tried Nozinan? I am off every other “brain” pill. I take 10 mg Nozinan one and a half an hour before going to bed, can take up to 15 mg, which I very seldom do. It’s not addictive per se.  Google it, it has other names too, it’s used as an antipsychotic mostly and enhances the effect of painkillers. But then the dosage is far much higher. In these lower dosages I think it’s pretty harmless. I have never seen a doctor who is negative about it. It is a bit old fashioned, though, but who cares, been using it for years. Have stopped all benzodiazepines.
    • Posted

Hi there, thanks for your reply. 

Just had a quick look at the drug you stated and it seems to be available in France. Will do some further research, you never, it might be my saviour!

• Posted

Hi Wesley I agree 100% that these drugs are worst than the initial reason we start them. Was on Benzo's for 20years and just completely got off about 6 weeks ago. Took 5 months and I thought I was gonna die without them. but today I am quite alive and am finally sleeping at nights. Some are worst than others but eventually when you get off these drugs you will gt better. you need someone that will talk with you when you are having your sleepless moments and try to help you relax. what happened is awful but you can hold that head high and pray to get rid of those thoughts and try to find a support group that can help you do this.I was a victim of a gun put to my head years ago and within time your mind should think less and less of this. You are hear today, alive and hopefully doing okay. Try to find a good support group. i did not have one but now know I wish I did. this forum has helped me tremendously. I only hope it helps you my friend. Kind regard, Ruby S.

• Posted

Hi there Ruby,

Thanks for lovely reply, it’s good to know that others have been in the same situation and have managed to get out of it. 

Like you said and other here too, the main problem is probably the medication I’m on. Attempted countless times to come off the main ones and failed. Plus the psychiatrists think that a month tapering is enough for some reason - you can tell that they have never been on such drugs. The problem with nowadays is that it’s easier to put people on drugs than use cognitive therapy. 

Il sure that one day (hopefully in the near future) I’ll get off them - maybe I just need to do a full night and day without sleeping? I’m sure my body will want to sleep after that. 

Take care smile 

• Posted

It might take more than a day. Like several days. When I was tapering I only got 2 hours a night for a few weeks and thought my body will sleep when it needs to. Not really. If I wanted to stay on my pain meds for my extreme pain, I had to get off them. So that I think helped in the long run. But now I sleep pretty good considering. Best of luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.