Having Gluteus Medius Repair Surgery & Possible Hip Revision tomorrow!

Posted , 19 users are following.

I had my THR in July of 2015 and never recovered, but always had a limp and pain in hip. Finally had second opinion and got a diagnosis of a torn gluteus medius muscle in Feb, 2016. Also had testing for infection but all was negative. I'm finally getting the repair surgery, as well as some exploratory in the hip, by two surgeons tomorrow, after 2 cancellations and seemingly endless waiting. I even had a vertebral compression fracture of my T-11 while waiting, which was SO horrible and painful and worse than my THR.

Now I am ready to see if my hip problem can be repaired, and if I can recover and move on with life. My health has gone so far down the tubes during this 15 months of inactivity that I am wondering if I will ever get it back. I will do all I can to get better, since I have so much to live for - a loving husband, sister and grown children. I love nature and out-of-doors adventures and want to go exploring and hiking again. 

I'll be wearing a brace and be 20 pound weight-bearing for 8 weeks after the surgery to avoid tearing the muscle/tendon again. It is possible they will do a revision if they see a loose stem or cup, but that is not likely. 

This forum was instrumental in me figuring out the source of my hip issues, as within the first couple of replies to my first thread, linda96952 told me about her problems, similar to mine, and put me on the right track. Thanks, again, my dear linda96952! https://patient.info/forums/profiles/linda96952-897026 Many other people here on Patient have been so giving of their support and information that I can't begin to list them all. I had no forum support after my THR and just struggled alone. This time I feel like I am going in with so much information and so many people with me!

Here are my previous threads, as I've been on here forever, trying to figure things out and waiting for treatment. 

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/22-weeks-post-op-still-can-t-walk-unaided--490578

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/facing-surgery-to-repair-gluteus-minimus-tear-possible-revision-498750

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/will-have-2-surgeons-for-my-exploratory-gluteal-tendon-repair-surgery--505113

Have attached a photo of a portion of my MRI from January, 2016. There is a ghostly face in the area where my hip problems are, and I call it my Demon Hip photo. Perfect for Halloween!

3 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Annie Good luck with your surgery , I am in the same position I had surgery done 16 months ago and on Morphine patches still under investigations . I have chronic pain in my groin and walk with a heavy limp, and walk with a walking stick.  I am going to have a camera inserted soon and hopefully they will be to get to the bottom of it. 

Wish i had not had it done one leg shorter and have not bee able to return to work in the NHS.  I have a resolution meeting next month with the Trust i work for to answer why i have been left in so much pain.  On  my scans there is such much whiteness surrounding my hip which is not ment to be there and no one is not sure why this is went to theatre for aspiration to see if it was a infection but they could not redraw but could not . 

Lets hope i will get answers with a second apinion after this procedure is done.

All the best annie and keep us updated in your recovery x

• Posted

Thanks so much, Lynne. Best of luck to you with your meeting and hope YOU get resolution from all that you have been through!
    • Posted

Hi Lynne

It took from Dec 13 to June 15 to get 2 second opinions and both nailed it for me. I travelled away from my trust for one of them down to NOC in Oxford and had a good revision and overall experience in Sept 16. It is taking a long time to recover because everything has been out of kilter for so long.

So push on and dont let the consultant do the waiting game with you - I had scar tissue as a result and sorting that out during the operation has slowed my recovery down.

I did once upon a time consider suing - given I am self employed and have not been able to work for almost 3 years. But I reckoned getting better was where my energy needed to be focused and I did not want to provoke defensive "nothing can be done" behaviour. However I would like to ask my first consultant to make a donation to charity for missing the blooming obvious in my case - something both second opinions spotted in 5 minutes of seeing me - as it would have saved me waiting 18 months, following his belief that it would somehow right itself.

So dont be deterred - my problem was the offset was too great, making my leg long and stick out giving me constant pain. I have had 2 ultrasounds, 15+ xrays, CT scans, 3D Xray and manipulation under anaesthetic during this time with the first consultant - as he wanted to find every explanation apart from his own mistake.

Dont let them waste your life. 

Good luck

Christine

• Posted

Wishing you all the best! Prayers for a successful surgery!!
    • Posted

Aww, thanks, Linda. I feel so fortunate, with people here and on my other forum and in real life, cheering me on!
  • Posted

If we were all in a room listening to your history now Annie....there would be absolute silence. You've had such a difficult time -it's frightening listening to the problems you've been through.

So as you wait this latest visit to attempt to get you back on track...I say bravo to you Annie. I hope I could be as brave as you in such circumstances. I'm sure we all hope and pray that this is a success.

Let us know how things progress..

Rob

• Posted

Rob, I so appreciate your comments. I will acknowledge that others have had it worse than me, but this has been pretty bad. As far as being brave, you should have seen me 6 months after my THR, knowing I'd need another surgery, and saying that I would never have it done! I came around as it became obvious how the quality of my life has suffered and no promise of getting better. We do what we have to do.

• Posted

You poor thing. I wish you a speedy recovery, and really hope that they can sort you out. Good luck, thinking of you.
    • Posted

Thank-you, Judith. I have two excellent surgeons that will be doing their magic on me, that helps a lot! I have great confidence in their skills. 
  • Posted

Hi Annie, I hope that they resolve the issues you are having and that you will be dancing for Christmas, I hope they remove the demon, he doesn't look at all friendly LOL

• Posted

Ha ha, AlexandriaGizmo, the brace comes off right at Christmastime, so I may be doing some extra celebrating! That demon haunts me. Just eww!
  • Posted

Glad you finally getting some intervention that will give you your full life back.. After the surgery it will be things getting better each day!
    • Posted

I sure hope so, Wendelin! In addition to just never fully recovering last time, I did have a slow ride back to what became normal for me. Maybe, with less going on during the surgery (we think), it will be a bit easier this time. And, of course, with the hope of a full recovery. 
  • Posted

Good luck with everything.  I'm so sorry for your struggle.  Let's hope they get it sorted!

• Posted

Thanks a bunch! I am so excited to get going on the solution!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.