Having had Borderline PD for a long time, please don't s...

Posted , 5 users are following.

Having had Borderline PD for a long time, please don't say its untreatable. We are sadly judged as being attention seeking, complainers etc. actually we are suffering the most aweful internal emotional pain, which for many means we resort to self harming just to make the pain physical. It is like being out of control of yourself, at times when you least expect it. The best approach I have ever had was that of a psychiatrist/psychotherapist who practised in a therapeutic environment, providing 1-1 and group therapy. Boosting my self esteem and appreciating the pain. Sadly she worked in the private sector only and I ran out of funds. If the NHS worked in a similar therapeutic and holisitc manner many more of us would improve over time.:ill:

[i:6f095c57d4]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:6f095c57d4]

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am not a medical practioner...I am mother.

The fact that you recognise you have a disorder and you are positively seeking help tells me that you sre treatable. You have acknowledged your problems and understand a little more about yourself.

You are on the way to recovery. You have made a HUGE step and I wish you evey good wish and hope you find inner peace.

I too wish there was more help out there for you.

You are not alone there are so many out there like yo but most do not realise they are ill.

Be kind to yourself...learn to love yourself for who you are.

[i:4ec6321daa]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:4ec6321daa]

• Posted

I got diagnosed with BPD 4 years ago when i was 16.I hate it.

When medical professionals hear your diagnosis they treat you different! its horrible.I wish so much i never had it,but thats life eh?? :?

I sometimes wish i had a pysichal problem as people see it and understand with mental health problems its so different.

I dont see myself as having a mental illness, more a mental health problem.I think i will always feel different,but im determined i wont be LABELLED bpd forever.

• Posted

\"I sometimes wish i had a pysichal problem as people see it and understand with mental health problems its so different. \"

You`re absolutely correct Clare.

Just my opinion, but its about how much ur \"problem\", \"illness\"....(whatever u want to call it, and feel comfortable with) affects ur functioning in life. Ive known many people, with a variety of mental health problems....and with the right support, (and sometimes medication) they lead pretty full lifes.

Unfortunately, the stigma attached to this kind of thing is still evident, hence the labelling, but happy to say not as much as it was, say even 10 years ago. Its other people ignorance that does my head in. They open their mouths and let their backsides roar about something they know nothing of.

Good Luck

• Posted

'They open their mouths and let their backsides roar' lol

Yes i totally agree with what your saying.I suppose people just need to learn a bit more about mental health and no be so ignorant :?

• Posted

Yep absolutely.

For some also, they need to lose the arrogance too.....u know, Oh it could never happen to me (mental health problems). Mental health doesn`t discrimminate....it can happen to anyone! And not one of us knows what lies round lifes corner. (bloody good job too huh...lol)

For others, they`re just scared. Scared of the unknown. They don`t understand mental health, why it happens etc......so they shy away from it and stick a label on the person.

Like I say, its not as bad as it used to be...but people still need to be educated regards it.

• Posted

I think i was around 19/20 when i knew something wasnt right with me.I knew i wasnt [NORMAL] id get a few good days then several dark days .I worked constantly which would et my mind off things .All my friends didnt notice that anything was wrong thats how good i was covering things up .It was a constant struggle being 2 natalies the weired thing is i loved working with mental health elderly/youngsters.Spent nearly 19 yrs working on nursing agencies coping i did untill 3yrs ago thing came crashing down which i knew it would one day i was diagnosed with BPD and given antidepressants.This is going to sound strange but i was glad now i know what im fighting and fight it i will .Life dosnt stop because of our illness STAND TALL HEAD HELD HIGH EMBRACE IT LEARN TO LOVE URSELF.BE OPEN/HONEST TO PEOPLE ABOUT UR ILLNESS TELL THEM / IF THEY DONT WANT TO KNOW SOD THEM ur worth more.
  • Posted

Had BPD diagnosed about 15 years ago. Didn't understand the term, until a recent "episode" forced facing the truth.

Feel totally let down by the NHS - but that's part of the syndrome!

Apparently, one-in-ten of us has this condition in one of it's many guises, yet I cannot find a support group.

Nothing is left of life but a little pile of ashes, all gone, and "all my fault", it's true. Total isolation. Everyone I have ever met, wronged or offended in some way. There's no way back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.