Having issues after shoulder surgery.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. I had rotator repair in July. I was doing good until three weeks when something popped and I went into excruciating pain. None of the pain medicine would even help. I called the Dr and was told to go to the emergency room. Of course the emergency room couldn't help. I went to the Drs office and after an ultrasound he scheduled me for another surgery to find what the problem was. I agreed as long as he would fix whatever he found when in there. Well he found that my bicep tendon had come out of the attachment he had created during the first surgery. He didn't repair it. He says that I should recover fine with it unattached. I have gone through 6 weeks of therapy and no improvement. I am still suffering with muscle spasms and pain. The Dr. says still that everything will be fine. I am not having much faith here. I currently do not have as much of range of motion as other people that I see that are recovering from rotator repair. Any suggestions or comments?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I know how you feel I had my surgery 8 the April I was doing well until about 6 -7 weeks ago I reached out and picked up a 2 litre of bleach I got acute pain worse than any I.had ever had

I have had cortisone injection which has eased the very severe pain Nights are difficult as I can't lie down

Your situation if your Dr is saying all is well you have to trust that There is time yet for things to improve Take care and good luck

• Posted

My concern is I was fine yntil the bucep tendon came off. Now the pain isn't relieved through accupuncture steroid injections or medicine. I also feel if God wanted my bicep tendon unattached then I would have been born that way. When he opened me up and seen this he only cleaned it up and closed me up. It's my dominant arm and I am only 46 and need the use of my arm.

• Posted

I understand what you are saying My surgeon was unable to repair my rotator cuff so just cleaned everything up did a bursectomy as it was very inflamed He also shaved a bit of bone can't remember what it is called to make more space I was optimistic but sadly it has gone wrong I am having some injections called suprascapular block Not sure about that It is to deal with the pain Like you my arm is weak Ironing with my left arm etc is not good. He spoke about a patch but said it could fail so I am a bit scared about that 7 months now and really worse than I was at the outset .

I don't know if it is possible to repair that. Tendon When I had the acute pain my shoulder physio said it could be biceps tendon Anterior and one which is longer He told me that if it goes I would have severe pain and probably some bruising He said not to worry as it might mean less strength in the shoulder but there was nothing to be done about it

I can feel your frustration and your despair I suppose you just have to speak to him again Sue

• Posted

Was the biceps tendon torn initially?  If it was, then is he just giving up?  Do you know what kind of repair/technique he used?  I don't understand the recovery without it attached part.  Ligaments/tendons don't have a chance to heal regardless of age/gender/etc. without proximity of the torn surfaces sans some medical miracle.  What good is any amount of physical therapy going to do if you don't have the proper anatomy to exert the forces required for the exercises?  Unless the purpose of the therapy is to acclimate to a deficient anatomy.  Sounds like he needs to explain why "everything will be fine."  What is he judging this on?  What criteria?

One glaring problem I see in all these discussions, HUUGEE disparity in patient/doctor power dynamic.  You can't blindly trust doctors and rely soley on money to keep them in check to get the results you want.  Just because you are paying more doesn't mean you are getting better quality care.  You're completely at their mercy if you do.  I still kind of believe patient advocacy is going to boom in the coming years.

• Posted

And I'm sure you are aware, rotator cuffs aren't an easy fix.  And it becomes increasingly difficult if not impossible to repair with age.

• Posted

23 hours ago

I am 46 years of age and was intialily hurt May 20, 2016. I went through multiple cortisone injections and therapy before opting for surgery. Once the first surgery they found several different tears as well as bone spurs. They did a bicep tendonesis and three devices were attached through the bone as well as placing a patch to help with repairs. After the surgery I was progressing well and slowly not taking pain medicine. On the third week after surgery I felt something pop. After the second surgery the surgeon said the bicep tendon had come completely off the bone and the device he had placed. He choose to leave it unattached and I have not been right since.

• Posted

I am 46 years of age and was intialily hurt May 20, 2016. I went through multiple cortisone injections and therapy before opting for surgery. Once the first surgery they found several different tears as well as bone spurs. They did a bicep tendonesis and three devices were attached through the bone as well as placing a patch to help with repairs. After the surgery I was progressing well and slowly not taking pain medicine. On the third week after surgery I felt something pop. After the second surgery the surgeon said the bicep tendon had come completely off the bone and the device he had placed. He choose to leave it unattached and I have not been right since.

• Posted

Hi there, sorry to hear your frustration. I've had four surgeries on my left shoulder in the last year and a half. I've read a lot of medical journals and talked to a lot of folks so hopefully I can help a bit. The biceps tendon has two attachment points, the long head and the short. The long head is the one that typically gets torn or displaced out of the bicipital groove but most doctors do not reattach it. If they do, it is called a tenodesis, and attached lower down, and not back in its original place at the top of the shoulder capsule. I think it becomes too short and unstable to do that, so they just leave it to "scar-in" on its own somewhere. They say that the long head is not responsible for providing more than 20% of the biceps strength, so unless it's a professional athlete, they tend to leave it alone and most people don't notice the difference. However, the biceps can be a large source of pain, esp if it is flipping back and forth as you rotate your arm. Despite three MRI reports saying my biceps is correctly attached at its origin and in the groove, my dr has never seen it in any of my four surgeries! To him, it has been torn off and he has never gone looking for it, deeming it of no importance. I get nervy pain down the front of my arm along the edge of my biceps, and I can Usually make it go away by rolling a lacrosse ball on it, and using a tens machine. It has been very slow to build back strength, so I can share your frustration. All my therapists joke about my elusive biceps tendon : ).  

If if you continue to have pain, it might be coming from a bursa that is inflamed from poor tracking of the shoulder. U could ask to try a cortisone injection? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.