Having left shoulder replaced at end of Sept.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Need to hear what other people think after their shoulder replacement?  In pain all the time, just would like the pain to go away...  Would like my life to be somewhat normal again!

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I'm in the same boat kid, now I wish I never let that doctor touch me, just had nerve tests done, now I find out I have nerves pinched in 4 parts around my neck, and shoulder I know I didn't have before, i can't do what I did before, and I even have a YouTube video proving it My mistake was picking the wrong doctor

• Posted

Thank you for reminding me to do my homework on my Doctor.  Have checked him out and did use him 2 yrs ago.  He cleaned out arthritis and bone spurs.  The old shoulder is worn out!  Just want to hear feed back and your is valued, Many Thanks!
  • Posted

I had a total reverse shoulder replacement of my left shoulder on May 2,2016 with excellent results.  My results were so good that I will be having my right shoulder done in the next month or so just waiting for a little cooler weather, I live in Florida.  The important thing to do is research doctors and find the best you can find.  The reason I chose my doctor was that I knew someone who had family members who had the surgery with excellent results and I followed their recovery and then decided to have mine done.  I had been on pain meds for 6 years that were not helping but once I had the surgery I only used the meds the surgeon prescribed and after about two weeks I no longer needed them. I do have occasional aches but it is not anything to complain about and I am now able to use my left arm easier than it had been for years.  If you have any questions you would like to ask me I will be happy to answer them for you
    • Posted

Just want to feel normal once more!  I do trust my Doctor's just hope this takes care of the pain.  Pain meds make me very ill, so I have been using oils..  They semi work now to ease the pain.  Guess I just want to know 

what to expect, don't like the unknown?

So kind of you to reply, Thanks for taking the time to tell me about your replacement!

• Posted

When I ad my shoulder surgery I was in the hospital for 2 days. The first day I slept a lot. The second day I was up and I had physical therapy. The physical therapist walked with me down the hall and when I was brought back to my room I was able to sit in a reclining chair.  I did not have much pain, the pain before the surgery was worse than after it for me.  Before I left the hospital the second day I had physical therapy again and they showed my husband and I how to remove the immobilizer. They took pictures so we would know how it should be put on. Once home I had a nurse and physical therapist come to my house 3x a week for 2 weeks. After that I did the exercises I was shown on my own. 10 days after my surgery the staples were taken out and I was given a 2nd immobilizer. You are not supposed to shower for 10 days and I would suggest you get a small plastic lawn chair to use in the shower because you will only be able to use your good arm to wash yourself. You can use your arm from the elbow down on the side you have the surgery but not move the arm from the elbow up. Also during this time you can only lift 2 pounds on the side of the surgery. After 6 weeks I went back to the doctor again and this time he prescribed occupational therapy for 6 weeks, 3 x a week. Also at this time he removed the immobilizer and I no longer had to wear it. You are now able to lift 5 pounds with the surgery side. After the 6 weeks of physical therapy I once again went back to the doctor and was released from physical therapy. The physical therapist and the doctor were both impressed with my progress.  I hope this information is helpful to you.
    • Posted

You make me feel much better about this!  I just needed to know the steps and of course pain level.  I have been dealing with the pain and just needed to know light, is at the end of the tunnel?

Thank you for all of the Great advice!

• Posted

I am glad this helped you, I also wanted to tell you that before the surgery I got some extra big shirts to wear because I found them to be most comfortable and they were actually easier to put on and take off. Also if you can find some big button down tops with short sleeves they also are comfortable and easier to put on.   You are also able to drive after a few days or within a week. The doctor tod me to place my hand on the 12 o clock withe the good arm and the 6 o clock position with the surgery side when driving, I was already doing this before surgery and it worked for me.  I will probably be having my right shoulder done around the same time as you are having your surgery.  Good luck with your surgery I am sure you will do well, just follow the instructions your doctor gives you and you should do fine. I did exactly as I was told.  
    • Posted

Thanks for all the info!  I just needed an outline of what to expect.  You have been so very helpful and to take the time to help me!

Thanks and Thought are with you, too!

• Posted

Hi Muriel34224! I was so glad to read of your surgery success on your shoulder.

I am looking for a doctor in my area but have gone down to Palm Beac for a hip

replacement that turned out well. My dr in Palm Beach doesn't

do shoulder repair, it seems orhopedic surgeons are quite

specalized these days. I was wondering if you would share

your orthopedic dr name with me to see if he might be a

candidate for my right shoulder. I spent an afternoon in the

pool teaching myself the backstroke! The next day I couldn't

lift my arm. I can call the dr in PB fora reference but if you

can give me the dr who you used would be greatly apprecated.

Sincerely,

Sherri

• Posted

I love in southwest Florida so I don't know that my doctor would be an option for you but his name is Dr.Derek Cuff.  He is really good and I did meet a man during my physical therapy who was from Miami but had a house in the area I live in which is Englewood, he previously had 2 other reverse total,shoulder replacements one before having my doctor do the third one in a year.  He told me he fell and that is how he hurt his shoulder.  The first two surgeries were done in Miami and they failed so they researched doctors and found that Dr, Cuff was the best and finally had him do the third and finally successful surgery.  I hope this helps

• Posted

Thank you very much!! I missed the part where you said you lived

in SWFL. Do you think if I called him, he might know a dr who

he might recommend? You're very nice to share this info. I have

had 5 times after dislocations,so hopefully I won't go thru

that with my arm. Thanks again. 💟

• Posted

Your very welcome. I don't know if he would recommend someone in your area but I don't think it would hurt to call his office and ask.  Their number is 941-485-1505.  

• Posted

Hi Claudia, I had a Reverse Total Shoulder Replacement back in February of this year. I took care to find the best surgeon available. Unfortunately I ended up with some nerve damage which, I think, was caused by the anesthetist giving me the "nerve block" just before surgery. That delayed my recovery. However, now, 6 months later, I have no pain and I'm almost perfect again. :-)

The main thing is ... be patient; and do your therapy religiously. Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Well it just a year now and I just found I have 3 nerve spots pinched causing me huge issues which my surgeon would not even do a test for, had to have another doctor do it, they hate to look at their bad work
    • Posted

This is what I need to hear.  Have not thought about nerve damage?  Will be asking my Doctor about this?  Want to make sure it does not happen a lot and what can they do for it if it does?  Guess it's just dealing with the unknown?  Great to hear you are back to normal!!!

• Posted

Well after a whole year has gone by my shoulder surgeon dumped me, he won't  write the needed pain scripts for the pain HE CREATED, THAT I DIDN'T HAVE BEFORE The pain doctor ordered nerve tests and I have 4 pinched points one nerve is only working 20% another is 40% the other two 30% I know this was not like this before, so whoever is reading this IF YOUR GOING FOR A SHOULDER REPLACEMENT GET THE DOCTOR TO TEST YOUR NERVES BEFORE HAND, that should  help to make sure he's careful not to mess you up, to late for me, but I hope I can help someone who's just about ready for surgery, just BS the doctor, tell him you feel numb in your hand, then he will have no choice but to test you, say when you hold your hand in a certain way for more than 30 seconds you start to feel numb in your hand and fingers. I know they will test you, and I hope your lucky to have good insurance, but this gives you insurance that if your tests come back negative, they will be to scare to mess them up

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.