Having LIS soon for chronic fissure, any tips/recommendations for after-care?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Any tips to prevent complications, any routines that helped? Would appreciate any and all tips, thank you!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

hi Dan,

I had mine done two weeks ago, and i'm still recovering. Today was definitely my best day so far, and I'm slowly healing and getting better each day, but it's been way slower than I had expected.

regarding tips:

1. I fasted a full 24 hours beforehand and I am so glad I did because I couldnt imagine going to the bathroom the next two days after surgery. My first BM was third day post.

2. ask for a nerve block. helps with pain for 1-3 days afterwards.

3. I took painkillers that were prescribed for four days afterwards. The acute pain subsided after that.

4. Eat light after the surgery. you really have to try to keep stool soft but also not too soft because it burns SO bad after a BM. this was such a challenge for me the last two weeks.

5. I washed the area with a handheld shower head. I took sitz baths with epsom salts 2-5 times a day.

6. I pulled the bandage out on the first night after surgery when I was still a bit numb.

Other than that, I'd plan to rest for 1-2 weeks. Get yourself some entertainment set up, movies, shows, books etc.

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.