having my hip replacement on August 24th

Posted , 17 users are following.

Please please please Help me. I'm having my hip replacement this month and I am soooo afraid. I have had many surgeries on our for my back and I was not afraid. When I was told I had to have a HR, I was like WTH. I just finished reading what not to do and I do all thoses things right now. How not to sleep, I sleep on the side that hurts and I sleep with my legs up. Can someone please help me understand what I am facing. I'm so depressed, because this pain is so horrible. I cry all day everyday because I'm in so much pain. With me I just don't have HP pain, I have back pain, leg pain, and scartica pain. I wish I had someone to talk to that can relate to what I am going though. My two sisters they have their pain they are dealing with. My mom who is 91 do not have any pain nothing, so she can't relate, she do not think I should have the surgery. My honey he understands, but I don't think he understands like someone who have some form of pain. ALL THIS PAIN IS TEARING UP MY MIND. DEPRESSED IS REALLY NOT THE WORD ANYMORE. I don't know the word on how I feel, but I am pass DEPRESSED. IS THE HP AS BAD AS I THINK IT GOING TO BE, OR I AM MAKING IT MORE THAN WHAT IT IS???

PLEASE HELP ME. I'M TRIED OF CRYING.

KAREN

4 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Karen,

What you are feeling us entirely normal. I was the same, almost turned back at the doors to the operating theatre, I was that scared. I've had quite a bit of surgery in my time, including decompression, laminectomy and discectomy of L4 and L5 due to sciatica but this frightened the bejesus out of me! 

After my back surgery I wasn't straightening up and referred myself for physio. It was at that point that my physio told me the problem wasn't in my back, it was in my hips! Now, even just after having one hip done, I walk much straighter which has made my back pain so much better.  Once your posture has improved from the hip replacement you might find your back pain much improved too. I'm just about to go for hip replacement number 2 and whilst I'm still a little apprehensive, I'm looking forward to a life without pain, knowing how much my life has improved after just one.

Its a slow recovery but with little improvements every day. I was surprised how quickly I was able to do more as the thought of 6 weeks of restrictions seemed to stretch out in front of me like an eternity but after only a couple of weeks I would find myself in the bedroom, having left my crutches in the bathroom without thinking! Those are the times you realise how well you are doing and from that moment, there is no stopping you.

We are here to help so please don't be afraid to vent. We are all in the same boat and will help you through it. Trust me 😊

Ali xx

• Posted

I was scared to Kaylynne before my hip replacement, please try to stay calm and know that when it's over and done with that horrible hip pain will be no longer. The nurses were so very reassuring before I was taken in, they helped me stay calm, constantly were explaining things and making sure I was ok, I don't even remember being given the sedation. All I remember is waking up in recovery after the sugery with absolutely no hip pain anymore, it's a miracle, like those 5 long excruiting years had never happened. I felt great, Yes this is a major surgery and there will be pain from the surgical incision but it will be well controlled with medications so don't fear. Even when I went home I really couldn't call it pain, it was a stiff sore thigh that each day with iceing and the gentle exercises got better and better. I wasn't bed ridden and was up and moving around pretty good. Hugz to you, you can do this.
  • Posted

Hi Karen,i too am called Karen-and like you i only found out thursday that i have to have a LTHR.the shock of it at 'only' 54 and what i thought as having good health was overwhelming!!and this on top of just losing my husband 7 weeks ago to cancer.so i totally understand your despair and fear,i've only just found this forum and i'm hoping that like you,people will take me under their wing and help me through this terrifying time of my life.so good luck and lets be there for each other.xx karen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.