Having pain after 9 months

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello Everyone, it's been a long time since I wrote. I've been doing good. Till recently after walking a couple miles sometimes three I will have some pain in the knee. My TKR was 9 months ago. Also after wearing flat dress shoes I would be walking and suddenly I will have severe pain and not be able to take another step without that pain wanting to act up. Also sometimes when going down stairs normally if I should twist my knee ever so slightly there will be very sharp pain.  I am very concerned that something else is going on. I do have a Dr apt in two weeks but wondered if any of you have e peri ended this. Thanks nancy

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nancy

I am about 8 months post op and I sometimes have a pain underneath the knee near the shin bone so to speak. This happens when I have probably pushed my stretch too far, or been standing for too long. It soon goes but it is very painful. I don't walk as far as you yet but am feeling better in myself. The knee is still very stiff and "mechanical" but everyone says to be patient so hopefully it is just your knee saying take it easy....hope we both feel happier in a few months....

Best wishes

Elaine  in England

• Posted

Work some more on your muscles.  Before you had your operation you were used to walking in a certain way. After the operation you have had to change the way you walk (albeit unconsciously). Start thinking about how you place your feet when you walk and how you walk down the stairs.  Make each step deliberate until you can do it without thinking. The tendon that keeps your knee cap will have been moved into a better position, this is connected to what you do with your exercises. 
  • Posted

Nancy, suisobol is right.  Be very deliberate with how you walk....and steps also.  I am 8 weeks tkr and think about it, especially when it hurts, I do not have much pain now.  Pain is telling you something....is it the shoes, is it how you are walking, ????  Listen to it...I know as of right now, I must wear shoes with a good arch support...or my knee hurts.  My PT told me not to do flats.....as they have no way to absorb the pressure???

pam

• Posted

Hi Pam, I'm 6 weeks post op and my physio said the same...no flats (and that is all i wore before op aprt from my trainers) only good supporting shoes. I went through wardrobe and tried some shoes ...the ones that hurt or annoyed knee out as will not support it...good excuse though to go shoe shopping!!
  • Posted

I just came from the doctors office found out that my pain was due to tendons and ligaments. Plane had been getting worse and worse. Now five because I never know when the pain is going to hit I can't walk . Looks like I'm back into therapy for 4 weeks. Apparently I have stressed it somehow. Liz, could happen any time with his little ass twisting
    • Posted

OK I hit the wrong button before I could correct some of those words. Ha ha !  I was trying to say the doctor said this could happen at any time for the next two years after a knee replacement .  I sure hope he is there he will get back to walking like I was before. Having a setback is a real bummer . 
    • Posted

You really have to work on those muscles (thighs), ligaments and tendons (going across and down & behind your knee to calf), sometimes it feels like a permanent work in progress, but you will notice a difference
    • Posted

Thank you sueisobe, I realize now that not being able to be consistent in my working out, because of caregiving my dementia sweet  mother-in-law , and then doing to much in the gym, when I could get there, has been my problem.  I did more walking ( 2 1/2 to 3 miles about 3+ times a week) then anything else and now I can't walk at all. I sure didn't think it would backfire and stress my tendons and ligaments to this point. therapy will get me on the

right track I'm sure.  This knee thing has been a huge challenge. Thanks for your input

• Posted

Sometimes the last person we think about is US.  We care about others, then we have a light bulb moment and realise we need to exercise; feeling ok, we rush out and, because we feel confident, overdo things.  There is nothing wrong with the distance you walk, but it has to be a stroll instead of a hike, with stops inbetween.  In todays world, doing things slowly is hard to do, but we really do need to stop and smell the roses, well bluebells at the very least. Give yourself a day of exercising.  If you think about it, looking after your MIL is exercise enough. Either use your mobile phone or buy a pedometre, you will be surprised how much walking you are doing.  All you have to do is consciously turn those steps into workouts as you work.  That way you won't feel so guilty, have a good soak in the bath, take a deep breath and start over. Think about what you are doing and apply the right muscles, better that going to the gym or physical therapy any day.

Invest in a good solid walking stick and use it when out walking. You may not always use it, but it sure does come in handy.

• Posted

After going to the doctor he told me he thought it was the tendons and ligaments and a month of therapy should fix it.  I've been in therapy for a week and a half now and it's not getting any better.I just came from therapy. Had a long talk with my pt. I told him I wasn't getting any better yet. He did some more testing to see if you could pinpoint where the pain was and then gave me some different exercises to do at home and there. He also had one of those looks on his face that was not good. He was being very honest and said he was going to do everything possible to get this better but even though it is uncommon to have to do more surgery it was possible that my body could be rejecting the knee replacement and therefore having to have a revision done.   I'm not thinking about that right now but just praying that the therapy will heal it.
    • Posted

If your tendons and ligaments are not strong yet, that would be the reason why you have issues coming  down stairs... It could be that you have been doing your exercises, but cheating a little. There is a tendon going across you knee, down to the front of your shin. This keeps your knee cap in place. The ligaments are the sinewy bits that help hold your jointsntogether
    • Posted

sorry pressed reply instead of return... Those ligament can get a little stretchy and lax.  Seeing as you know you have a weanes, there is no point knocking yourself up about it.  Things will get better will get better, they will become stronger, more stable and your pain will ease.  When you exercise, target specific areas, the same way you would other parts of your body.  You are so close to the end, but not quite finished, you will get there.  When you get the time try exercising in the water. You will find it very soothing, putting weight on your knee and bending, it is so simple and because the water is supporting you, it becomes possible.  There are a lot of little things that take time in healing, but not everyone suffers them the same way.  There are a lot of keep fit exercises out there  incorporate them into your daily routine
  • Posted

I have had quite a journey . I am 9 months following partial knee replacement. 4 weeks after my op my knee let me down and i fell on the floor fracturing my first lumbar vertebrae. I have been through investigations for osteoporosis and had lots of physio . I have worked hard to get the knee strong again and the bend is fine . My issue is that it just doesnt feel like it belongs to me and often feels stiff particularly when i have been on it for while . I too get pain behind my knee and near my shin . I am wishing i hadnt had it done I am nothing like I was and also have chronic back pain . Tell me if I can do anything to improve this .
    • Posted

I am sorry to hear you are so unhappy.  Unfortunately, there are some people who have the operation on their knee and it takes them longer to recover, mentally and physically. 

My theory is: from the day you are born, every single bone, sinew and tissue is yours and yours alone. Then all of a sudden you have something foreign inserted.  It is not of your DNA.  It’s not like a plaster; that after a while you can take it off.  It is there for life!  Whatever causes this mental rejection no-one knows as you certainly don’t think of it that way.  It is a case of acceptance.  For you, the pain of your knee and more importantly the pain of your back (which was “caused” by your knee can be overwhelming.  Not knowing what part of your body to deal with first.

When you lay flat on your back, try tightening your leg muscles, lift your legs up (one at a time or both together), whilst keeping your butt on the floor and all the while using your stomach muscles.  Having strong stomach muscles will help support your spine, strange as it may seem, as well as enabling you to lift your legs.

Do you wear a brace for your back or a lumbar belt, what exercises do you do for your back?

The pain your shin could be where the join is, ring your consultant (or his secretary, she is more like to reply to you quicker) if you need peace of mind.  Things like this they will take time and answer (well they should anyway)

Whilst you may always be aware of this cuckoo in your leg, you will get used to it.  Think of it as a positive thing.  You obviously needed the operation, so this is your new lease of life.

• Posted

Thankyou you talk so much sense . I think my expectations were so high to start with and the fact my knee let me down i lost faith in it . Have worked hard on treadmill n recumbent bike to get it much stronger . I daresay i have to keep going .

I have physio and doing these core exercises to help .i guess i am still a work in progress. Have only just begun a phased return to work after a year off. I just dont feel i am anywhere near my normal self .

• Posted

You are welcome, but don't do the treadmill, right now that it the last thing you need, the impact that is going through your leg cannot be pleasant. do the bike, notch up the gears on your bike if necessary.  Walking is good for you, but just not on the treadmill.  Leave that for when you are completely healed and stuck indoors on a rainy day.  The other thing you could do is use a wobble board. 

I hope when you are at work you are able to either rest your leg or sit down, don't be surprised if your ankles swell up by the end of the day. Rest with them in the air will sort it out.  Good luck and don't be so hard on yourself.  You are doing just fine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.