having should manupaltion

Posted , 3 users are following.

Im having shoulder manupaltion after August 7th due to scar tissue and having shoulder decompression April 1st of this year. What do I need to expect from it? They said something about injecting me with a shot while I was under? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had MUA done on 1-16-2018 after complete frozen shoulder. I had lost a lot of muscle. I started PT the same day I HAD THE MUA done, even though I STILL COULDN't feel my arm yet. It was critical to get and keep the motion free that had been gained from the MUA. The first two days after MUA were rough in that the pain was pretty bad. I opted to pass on the heavy prescribed pain killers and rotate through Advil and Tylenol to help. PT was every day for a while, then down to 2 times a week for 2 months. PT pushed my range of motion, further breaking through more scar tissue that wasn't fully done in the MUA. So, these were painfull PT sessions for me. I was given exercises to do morning and night at home in addition to the PT. The exercises mostly use a short pole/rod to stretch. I found a short adjustable shower rod from Lowes worked great. Arm slides up a wall and a rope stretch behind the back were also prescribed. small hand weights were introduced after a few weeks. I could hardly do any of these at first, but after 1 month, huge progress. I thought I thought I was pretty well back to normal after a few months with minimal issue, but realize today I have 100% full range motion, like I never had any problem with my shoulder at all. Best of luck to you!!

• Posted

Good luck on your MUA! There are several threads on this forum that talk about their MUA experiences, so you can get it directly from several opinions. (Go to the upper right, just to the left of your login name, and you'll see a search icon. Put in "MUA" and that will pull all those discussion threads so you don't have to slog through everything.) But to answer your question, for a MUA, I understand that they typically put you under a light anesthesia, move your arm in all motions to break the adhesions, then inject the shoulder joint with cortisone. The cortisone is a common steroid that reduces inflammation. They might also give you a nerve block too. They'll likely have you do home exercises and/or formal PT so that your shoulder doesn't re-adhere. And that's it. There are pros and cons to this procedure, so read as many first-hand accounts as you can to make an informed decision. It won't be so scary once you understand what's ahead. Good luck, and keep us informed of your progress! You will be helping the next person who asks the same question!

• Posted

Hello,

Not sure of an injection while you're under. But, I had (Manipulation Under Anesthesia) MUA, a week ago today for frozen shoulder. I was given a nerve block injection by the anesthesiologist prior to being taken back for the procedure.

I can tell you it's been very painful, both before and after.

I have been in aggressive physical therapy that started the day of and will be until next week. Then, I start twice a week for two weeks. This, in addition to at home therapy. The idea is to keep the shoulder from scarring back up and returning to its previous state.

Make sure you have pain meds and anti inflammatory, as the therapy tends to cause flair ups that can prove to increase your pain level if you don't have medication to combat it.

Good luck! I pray you have a successful, speedy recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.