Having some confusion about Thyroid and Vit. D ???

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm on 50 mcg levothyroxine. Started taking medicine on Aug 1st 2013. Tsh 4.75. Moved to another state and had to find new Doctor. Still taking same dose med. Found new Doctor in California and had my labs taken again on Feb 5th 2014. TSH higher now is 4.82 after 6 months. Humm?? Doc also checked my Vitamin D. Was seriously low. Lab number was 11. Should be at least 30 to 50. Started me on 50,000 iu once a week for 12 weeks. Went back to Doctor after I completed Vitamin D and had labs again. TSH had dropped to 1.23 and Vitamin D went up to 34. Now I'm thinking theres some kind of corralation between my Thyroid and Vitamin D. Would my TSH have been normal if I hadn't been so vitamin d deficient? Now with my TSH at 1.23 I have symptoms like being jittery and shaking hands and shaking inside. I feel like I'm going 180 miles an hour. My Doctor told me to stay on my dose 50 mcg and I now take 2000 iu of Vitamin D daily. I have to take a xanax to try to get calmed down. I don't like that. Is my TSH to low. Should I self medicate down to .25 mcg of Thyroxine on my own? Is it just a fluke that finding my Vitamin D deficiency and correcting it really have dropped my TSH? I would appreciate it to here from anyone who may have experienced this.  Please.  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Yes I think that hypothyroid patients are often low on vitamin D, however vit

D problems are very common in the general population these days according to what I read.  I have been hypothyroid for over 20 years, no Vit D problem then.

However, following a fall 2 years ago which resulted in a wrist fracture my vitamin 

D levels checked and was found to be a little low.  I have been on Vit D for all

this time and have just had the dose reduced as it is now upper level.  My TSH

has fallen during this time from 2. something to to 1.something and is now .93

I think.  It might just be getting older and the same dose of thyroxine is working

better but I think myself the vitamin D is connected.  I have also read that if you are on the correct dosage of Thyroxine then any high blood pressure and cholesterol should improve.  You don't say how old you are so I am giving this experience as an older woman.  Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism around age 45 

now 66.  You say you are feeling jittery etc this might be because the dose it too high but 50mcg does not seem a lot. Most are on 100 to 150 once stable. Keep in touch with your GP and get it sorted out.  Hypothyroidism is a complicated condition but don't give up.  It could be side effects of the thyroxine.  Sorry to have rambled on a bit.  It's just that I know how hard it can be and what is right for one patient is not for another.  Good luck keep in touch on the forum.

• Posted

My age is 69. I was diagnosd when I was 68 after I had a Atrial Fibrilation episode and nded up in emercency rm and sent to a cardioligist. Thats what made my GP test my TSH .She was smart enough to know Thyroid and heart irregularity problems could go hand in hand.  My Cardioligist kind of felt the same. So far since taking the Thyroxine I have not had another episode but have some heart flutters. I've always had slow heart rate (47 to 49). Being on thyroid meds it wnt down to 41. Cardio Dr took me off my high blood pressure pill Atenenolol. I have to constantly moniter my heart rate and BP. I have taken Xanax for years and I take one at bedtime to sleep. I want to start taking my Thyroxine at night but I don't think I can take them togeather. Any ideas how I could do that? I feel like all my meds now are changing th effects in my body. And yes its because I'm getting older and dosage needs to be carefully watched. Docs should know that. We require lower dosages. Thank you 
    • Posted

Hello again,  I am due to see my GP week in a week so am going to ask her about taking the Thyroxine at night. (If you have not done so already

read the other posts in this group there are a few you say they have changed to nightime dose and have felt much better).  With regard to changing over I think It would be best to ask your GP. If I remember one

member said she took her dose in the morning then at night and then each night.  If you take morning dose and then evening the next day you will be without thyroxine for a long period, but check with your doctor.

I myself at the moment take thyroxine 125mg plus BP tablet each morning and asthma inhaler.  I do also have to take antispasmodics before meals for IBS although I am hoping to reduce these and come off.  At the moment I also take tablets twice a day for reflux problems.

You will have ask about taking the Xanax and thyroxine at night.  You are right about medications changing the effects in your body especially as you get older.  I myself have arthritis as well so often am frustrated about what is causing what is you know what I mean.  Most of the medications I have come across do advise care with over 65s, people with long term conditions, BP etc. so I know what you mean about docs

knowing the they need to start with lower doses.  Have you looked at the Thyroid UK site for info.  Sorry I can't offer much help hope you can get it sorted out.  Take care.

• Posted

Very worrying as I have only just found out about the vitamin D deficiency aspect and will have to mention this to my doctor here in the uk I am on 100mcg and my levels are fine, I take the levothyroxine at night which I find much better and stopped the horrible disorientation I was feeling. I was taking it in the morning and felt in a fog all day.. Interested to find out others views on this as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.