having sore throat for 9months, please help with possible medication

Posted , 4 users are following.

This sore throat came around January 2016, I had appointment  with GP, who gave me prescription of andolex c spray, with antibiotics and lozenge to lick,and dis tablet dat dissolve inside water and gaggle, the swallow,  which I complete the dosage, but never healed, so I decided to leave it, then it was healed after 2-3 months, my greatest surprise, just like 2 months later it came back, met with GP again, prescribed another antibiotics, lozenge and d one to gaggle, which I completed the dosage, yet it's like I got a fresh open wound in my throat,  I tried all sort of self medication, salt and warm water, flu combo etc, was relieved but I heard it's bcos of the acid, it's supposed to come out from inside of me. But because, the tablets makes it go down inside my belly, then it comes bck, please I'm beginning to think negatives, help me, thx

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Did they check you for silent reflux or reflux that would cause ulcers in mouth?
  • Posted

I agree with Carrie, i had sore throat which felt like a throat infection and hoarse voice for over a month, antibiotics didnt help and i was getting scared. After days of googling my symptoms the one that matched all my symptoms the closest was silent reflux. I took a pepcid ac that night before bed time and the next morning i felt much better. It took less than a week with pepcid at night and in the morning along with a better diet for my throat and voice to be back to normal.
  • Posted

I'm going to try pepcid then as Maria said, hope I can check with pharmacy, really I've not really felt myself , yoh, good health is so superb, it's everything one should first have in life, thanks for the tip, I will feed back, 

• Posted

I know, its terrible not feeling like yourself. I really hope that helps and that you start to feel better. Keep us updated.
  • Posted

I have been having sore throats for 14 weeks a few times a tear since last year. Affectibng my voice. Before that it was 6 weeks. For many years. Dx was sinus - pnd

Doctors cannot see very far down. ENT put flexi scope up nose down throat. She said it was Gerd. I took somac- nexium on script.

It did nothing. I had no heart burn. Silent reflux is the term. It can be caused by mucous and pnd.

This year i got it not with a cold but after tooth extraction and only on one side. Very painful. I saw different ENT at same place.

He put the scope down again and diagnosed - Chronic Lingual tonsilitis.

He said its rare. Had tonsils out 1960. Aged 5. This is inflammation on the bits left behind.

The lozenges were for candida? To soothe the throat. My GP said dental extraction would point to bacterial infection surely.

He had 2 other patients with CLT both had auto immune diseases.

The pain was horrific. I felt really unwell - my doc thinks that points to infection

The ENT said boost immune system. Saw naturopath - no change. Pain is far back of throat. Had it again recently. I had amoxyl abx x 2. Improved a bit. The gp then put me on penicillin. Pain went within 5 days. It was 10 day course. Under 14 weeks. Cancelled ENT appt. GP said Australian guidelines point to penicillin and if that does npt work surgery is recommend.

Pain was like having tonsils removed. But went on longer.

The ENT also said to look at allergies!

The scope showed change in cell pattern. So keep searching for answers.

I am in melb. Australia

• Posted

At a loss here for what you have been going thru. If penicillin helped then it must be an infection. Wondering if you should try a product you can only get on amazon. It was recommended I try it. It's called gaviscom advanced liquid. It puts a barrier in your stomach so you won't reflux. In 2 days I having a test where they put small scope in my nose down to stomach. I wear it for 24 hours it records acid back up. Acid can affect voice box sore throats tonsils etc. in my case I have a chronic cough but they are certain it's from a virus I got where I coughed and all other symptoms went away but I kept the cough. Then I had heart surgery and cough worsened.after surgery I have to take many meds and supplements. I'm 1098 I had missed fundplication surgery which tightened my balance at end of esophagus. This prevented acid reflux but dr thinks it stretched out because I can burp again so he wants to check that out again. If I am refluxomfg it affects post nasal drip and burning in throat. Add all my meds I am prime for reflux, we are getting this conformomed next week. To me it sounds like you could have several things going on.

• Posted

Typos sorry I had a surgery to tighten valve at end of esphogus. I ordered gaviscom but it's currently in shipment. I could also have several things going on. So hard but I am determined to find an answer don't give up try different things. Reflux is very common and can cause a lot of problems. If you can get reflux under control you may end sore throats throat clearing coughing etc. Google silent reflux it had a of symptoms. Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for the contribution friends, previously I decided to follow mary's hint about pepcid ac, for silent reflux, which I got another similar medication to pepcid from pharmacy, I also consulted a GP who explained to me that sinus do also cause reflux, was advised to sort sinus first, then continue with d medication for silent reflux, basically, when the valve at the bottom of the oesophagus gets weak, d closure becomes weak. When you sleep, and sinus gets you snore, the wall of the oesophagus gets contracted and irritated, the acid comes up, pass the valve as it's slightly opened, so I'm actually on d medication now for sinus and d reflux, I can feel a little better wen I drink water, means the medication has got effect on the prescribed problem in my throat, thanks all for the tips, will still definitely feed back as soon as I finish the dosage, 

• Posted

Happy to hear you're feeling better. Really hope youre on the right track. Keep us informed, God bless.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.