Having such a hard time with vestibular therapy. Any hints to help me get through this?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My first week of vestiular therapy was great.  I was starting to feel like a real person again.  The second week was harder, and my third week is killing me.  I am  dizzy and nauseous, and contsantly feel like I am bouncing on a trampoline.  I felt better before the  therapy started.  Can anyone who has been through this give me any tips on surviving this?  I have tried ginger root and emitrol for the nausea but neither one helps.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Your therapist may have moved you forward too qickly.  Did the exercises change from the first week?  I would thell them how the exercises are affecting you.  You should challenge yourself but, not to the point of feeling worses.  You should only progress to new exercises once you have mastered the previous ones.
    • Posted

Each week she adds two new excersises, and increases the length of time I do them.  I am ready to quit them cause they make me so sick.  I will talk to her on Monday about not trying to progress so fast.  She said it is a six week program, but I may need a bit longer.
  • Posted

HI

Sounds like they are moving you fast.  When I started they had me doing the gaze stabilisation exercise, focusing on a letter on the wall and moving my head up and down and side to side.  They started me on 2 minutes each way and Wow did get dizzier, so I told them about it and they had me slow down to 1 minute each way, three times a day and slow down they movement of my head.  Then each time I went up in time it was 15 second intervals each week or two weeks depending on if it made the dizziness worse.  You should tell the therapist and have them slow it down.  I also know when I'm doing the exercises if I feel the dizziness then I slow down myself.  My therapist said I should not be dizzier but for a few minutes afterward.  But I know when it was to much the dizziness and flooring bouncing would last for a couple of days. Just slow down the exercises yourself if you need to.  Go back to what was okay until you see the therapist again, no reason to make things worse.  

Hope things get better for you. 

• Posted

You are right, I see now that I am moving too fast.  I thought toughing it out would get me back to normal quicker, but It is probably setting my progress back.  I am going to skip my evening exercises tonight, so Hopefully I will feel better in the morning.  Then I will start at a much slower pace.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.