Having surgery on 7th February

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All in forum thinking about or facing possible surgery, Just wanted to let you know that I'm having surgery on 7th February 2017 to remove my bowel apart from 20cm (rectum & anus) & have a stoma bag. 'Stanley' the stoma will be the start of my recovery after over three & half years of ulcerative colitis, hospital admissions & sadly no drugs found to control it. Been on steroids for most of that time & still on them now.

This is Not a decision taken lightly, discussions about surgery started 18 months ago! This is part of process to get my life back & get well.

Anyone also facing this I'm happy to answer, if able, any sensible positive questions.

Bearing in mind Everyone is different so always make your Own decision.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Your circumstances are almost exactly the same as mine. My Surgery was in October 2015. On 3rd March I'm having the rest removed. A Stoma is fairly straightforward and in many ways more hygenic than going to the toilet conventionally. My health has improved immeasurably since surgery and I'm drug free. Good luck on Tuesday.

• Posted

Hi Darasdad1 thank you so much for replying. im greatly encouraged that you are healthier. I also am almost sure I will have a second op to remove the rest if there's any signs of colitis still in bowel left. Good luck for your second op. x

• Posted

Thanks. It is major surgery and takes a little while to get back on your feet but you will find yourself getting stronger each day. I drove after 2 weeks and walked the dog for an hour after 4. Keep in touch.
    • Posted

Hi Darasdad1 that's amazing progress quicker than I expected.

I'll keep in touch. Let us know how your next stage goes.

• Posted

GOOD LUCK AND WISH YOU WELL

Am almost in the same situation have been diagnosed one and half years meds not really working stuck on steriods consultant pushing surgery have spoke to surgeon trying to accept this is going to be my only option but such a big decision as no going back

Would be great if you could keep us all updated with your progress results and how life after is

• Posted

Hi helena108 I was having casual talks about surgery 18 months ago & then I fell & broke my wrist on the way to see the stoma nurse! I know it sounds awful but I thought well,at least it gives me more time to think about it. But actually all it's meant for ME is 18 months extra

struggling to cope & in denial. I was in hospital in November as the drugs weren't helping & my steroids put up to 60mg a day! Steroids mess up my emotions. I'm down to 20mg a day. 10 mg & im usually bleeding so 20mg before surgery to be safe. It will be keyhole surgery which I think is amazing! The only problem I've had so far is I have sensitive skin so I've been testing stick on stoma bags for allergic reactions. I've been ok with stoma bag Manuka honey on adhesive strip & even better on a grey soft waterproof bag. Can't quote the make as probably not allowed but you can ask your stoma nurses & they'll show you. I'll try to give feedback after op & keep you posted.

• Posted

Hi,

Just wanted to wish you good luck and hope everything works out for you. You seem to have thought about it and come to terms with it.

Best wishes

Sue

• Posted

Hi susan260867 thank you so much. I Never envisaged life would throw this at me But there are Much worse things. Stanley the Stoma & I have been going out & about for the past 2 weeks & NO one had realised not even my husband that I was wearing one. I didn't really want my backside on my frontside but I actually think it will be easier & more hygienic to deal with than the ages it takes with paper & wipes to clean up the traditional way! Thanks for you reply. x

• Posted

Hi BG, good luck with your surgery, presuming key hole as elective. Tough decision but taking back control is uplifting.

My son said one of the best things was eating anything you want, especially spicey food after restrictions during a flare. Apart from peas and sweetcorn and onion as stoma farts.

Son still doing brilliantly, j pouch behaving well.  No regrets.

Don't forget, make sure they risk assess you for clots post surgery as a bugger if you get a DVT. 

Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi sheila91262

Glad to hear your son doing well have seen your other posts & followed progress.

Will keep you updated

B x

• Posted

Hi Bustergut1

It's a huge desicion to make I had uc for 11 years and again my situation was similar to yours had a flare for 9 months nothing worked and those steroid that you won't miss 🙄I had my ilestomy in sept 2015.. and at first it's hard like any surgery but with the support of your stoma nurses and doctors you will be ok love that you have a name mine is called tinker 😉 I had a c section 6 months previous and that was harder to recover from my ilestomy op because you will be free from this disease so your body will be able to fight more I wish you all the luck and speedy recovery just take each day as it comes and to think the nightmare of pain and running to the toilet will be over.. as for your skin there are loads of products creams and barrier wipes that help so any advise after always happy to help take care..

Rachelle

• Posted

Hi rachelle52846

Thanks for your reply. You've certainly had a lot to deal with a c section while ill. I had full hysterectomy 13 years ago but didn't have colitis diagnosed then. I'm 60 now & feel lucky that I've got to this age so far without needing stoma. I'm ok with it as fed up with loo trips & sometimes incontinence. Keep you posted.

B x

• Posted

Well I think there is no right age but I agree getting to 60 I would be ok with that .. I was 34 years old just married with my first born tough times still I've come out the other side and also have no regrets it's just pooping in a different way 😉 The good thing is you will gain full control of your life and with a stoma it's easier than suffering and drug free !! Speak soon

• Posted

I know I may have said it before, but worth repeating, spend time when siting the stoma position as wearing normal clothes is important and you don't want them getting in the way of flow. Stoma nurse will advise. 

• Posted

I wish you all the very best for the surgery, your recovery and a future life free of this wretched disease.

Take care and again, every good wish.

Peter A

• Posted

Hi pca thank you for your kind message. It's all a bit surreal at the moment but when I start my pre op prep tomorrow it will become very real 😳😂more worried how I'll go 24 hrs on clear drinks & clearing out bowel. 😖

B

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.