having surgery within 2 weeks how long will i be sore for?

Posted , 5 users are following.

hiya guys xx im in and out of hospital with pains and still on the waiting list for surgery. was just wondering how long everyone was before they went back to work? and how long it was before u could eat after surgery. any info would be great please regardless of good or bad things xx look forward to reading your comments so i can get my head around it all. Im just worried how long i will be off work as im not in a great situation for no wages coming in xxx thanks 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had surgery 10 days ago, still a little sore but mending by the day ( I have got a slight infection to my navel wound but caught it early) I am hoping to go bk to work after 2 weeks,, hope your surgery comes quick, no regrets here yet even with the discomfort I've had, it's way better than the attacks!!!! 😀
    • Posted

yes i agree hun they can rip it out of me now if they like im in that much pain. Hopefully i will get my surgery soon especially if my gp has anything to do with it. I also have fibriods and cystic ovaries so im in a bit of a mess and i just cant decide what hurts more each day xx thankyou for your reply xx
  • Posted

They should offer you something to eat in hospital although whether you'll want to eat is a diff matter. I could only nibble. I'm 17 days post op and stopped feeling sore maybe 3 days ago but overdid it yesterday and feel like I've had a setback now. If all goes well it's really easy to forget you've had surgery and should be taking it easy. I'm hoping I haven't pulled a stitch as I feel like I'm back to week one again sad
    • Posted

oh i hope your ok hunni xx thanku for your reply xx im in so much pain with biliary colic and now i have a water infection which is making my pains worse. I feel sick and im vomitting with a pounding headache aswell.. My gp wants me admitted monday but im worried im gonna be sat in hospital with no surgery cos i dont have a fever or raised heart beat etc.. all my vital signs are good.. ive waited 10 weeks already for surgery and they told me 12 weeks so praying its sooner rather than later xx 
    • Posted

Can you chase them? That's what I did after 6 weeks. My pain had me in tears and I also wanted my op to be in the school hols so they called me with a cancellation giving me just over a weeks notice but that didn't bother me. Even though I'm sore I have no regrets. I suffered too long. Soreness is a walk in the park compared to the pain before.
  • Posted

Hi,

I went back to work after 2 weeks. I possibly could have gone back sooner but I would have been pushing it. You'll be very sore for the first 3/4 days but I came off painkillers after that.

I started eating properly about 2 days following surgery. Pretty normal things really. Just go with what your body it craving. Before that I just didn't have an apettite.

Life will be so much better after. Endure the few weeks of discomfort and start your life again!

Good luck

• Posted

im just wondering whether i need hubby home cos i have a 2yrs old n 4yr old xxxx
    • Posted

Yes definitely. I have a 1yr old and 2 year old and its chasing the 2 year old that has made me sore today!
  • Posted

I presume you mean you are having your gallbladder removed?

How long recovery period depends on whether they manage to do this with keyhole surgery or if you have to have the bigger operation .

As regards work it also depends what work you do as you are not allowed to lift.

If keyhole recovery time they say is 3 weeks.

If the bigger op it is 6 weeks.

Be aware that before you are put to sleep you have to sign a form to say if they cannot get gallbladder out as keyhole surgery they can carry on and do bigger op. 95 per cent have keyhole surgery. i did.

Regarding eating everyone is so different so you will have to experiment with it. I had my gallbladder out at the end of April and still get stomach cramps if I eat hard cheese or pork Anything fatty really.

Hope this helps.

Good luck with the op.

Take care and keep in touch.

Praying for you

Love Sarah xx

• Posted

thankyou hun.. i cant believe i have to go through all this pain for so long! i think to myself at times i wish it was gangerous or something severe just so i can be done and sorted xx i know i sound stupid but im that fed up with it all.. I also want my fibriods out aswell but by the sounds of it unless and dying and there the size of footballs ive got no chance xxx hate how the system works but i guess we are all the same xxx

• Posted

I had mine out in June and I was sore for a few days. The gas was the biggest issue for me. I was back to work a week later (light duty) and back to normal regular duty 4 weeks after that. Total recovery time for me was around 6 weeks. I had a liquid diet for the first meal after surgery then solids the next day. I was careful the first few weeks but ate my regular diet. I still have issues with certain things, but I am pretty much back to normal now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.