Having TKR in next week or so

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all, 

I have just found this site and have read many of the great contributions from its members and am really grateful as I am about to have TKR on my left knee in the next week or so, I've just been to hospital and had all the pre op stuff so just waiting for a phone call to tell me when to go in. I will then be having TKR done on my right knee later ( the surgeon seems to think 3-4 months after first one).

Its been a long journey to get this far with many years of pain and reducing amounts of mobility. I had to stop working and go on "sick" approx nine months ago and it has taken this long to finally get the surgeon to do the operation. I've had numerous X-rays, MRI's etc which initially led to me having keyhole surgery (Arthoscopy) on my left knee in January. I had a spinal anastetic so was awake for that and as soon as the surgeon could see inside the knee he said that because of the amount of damage there was little that he could do at the time and it was obvious that a TKR was required. 

So that's where I'm at, anxious about the surgery but desperate to get it done and try and get back to work/ doing normal things again etc.

Thanks again for all the advice and posts and I will try and post more details as things happen as I think that this will help motivate me, and maybe others.

Cheers

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Good luck Martin, I wouldn't of got through my recovery without this forum. Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Good luck on your forthcoming operation. Go into it expecting the very best outcome.

It is going to be a long journey you're embarking on. You will have good & bad days but with hard work & determination you will get there.

Do your research before the op, also try to exercise that leg before the op if you can. Get all you need ready for when you go in, what you want to take into hospital & for when you are discharged. Make your home ready for when you are less able to get about once you first get home from hospital.

I only had 2 weeks notice of my 2nd operation. (I think due to Christmas, op was 16th Dec, many people declined!). That was a very stressful time as in those weeks I had to get the Christmas cards written & sent, buy & wrap the presents (that I had got already), along with attend the Pre Op Assement, the Therapy Session, 2 blood tests (FBC etc & for the National Blood Transfusion Service, to be done a week apart)! Along with making sure the shopping, turkey et al, was going to be delivered the Thursday before Christmas!! TBH I was lucky to get my op when I did as I was only on the waiting list just under 2 months!! The NHS then cancelled all electives about 2 weeks after I had my op!!

I listened to my iPod during both ops (I didn't want to hear anything!).

Don't forget when you need advice or someone to vent to...... that's where we come in, there will always be someone here who will answer, even in the middle of the night! We are, after all, worldwide!!

All the best

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Thanks for your comments. All are really appreciated.

As I have mentioned I am feeling positive about everything and did "all the pre op exercises before I had keyhole surgery in January, which is when they decided that TKR was required. Following that procedure I again did all the post op exercises and all went quite well, apart from the knee being no better than before (in fact it is actually a little worse as the surgeon actual removed all of the meniscus whist he was in there as it was totally shredded). 

Attended for post op appointment with surgeon and decided we were doing the TKR approx two weeks ago and did all the pre op assessments etc whilst I was at hospital. Was told waiting time approx 4 weeks although I have put name down if a cancellation comes up ( which is what happened last time. I saw the surgeon on the Monday, they rang me on the Wednesday and I had the procedure done on the Thursday- fantastic service and was hoping for same again but had no phone call yet - can't wait. 

Have been doing the pre op exercises again, and using static bike quite a lot.

• Posted

Hi Martin. Sending good wishes to you for your surgery. You will have good days and bad days but all of us on the forum are here for you. Only somebody who has had a TKR really knows what it is like afterwards. I had my first one in June 2017 and at 6/52 checkup said never again and at 12/52 maybe it was worth it! By January was doing most things as normal but other knee playing up. Hence decision to go for second knee 5 weeks ago. Totally different experience but took heed of Chico's drawing of recovery- ups and downs!!

• Posted

Hi Martin i am due to have T K R right leg next week.

All the best hope all goes well for you.

• Posted

Since this is taking so long, have you looked into stem cell therapy? If it does half of what they say, I'd do it. Check on your insurance, most don't but some do. Go for umbilical cord cells rather than your own as they are more potent and reproduce faster. We have a clinic in Utah that only uses donated cells from C-section births, not aborted. I'm looking at this for my L knee and to see if it can correct the problems with the soft tissue in my R. 

• Posted

Sending good wishes your way!

I am now just over a year post TKR and so grateful...it is hard work but amazing to be able to go on holiday, walk as much as I need to, even uphill, walk for miles when I frequently could only walk for ten minutes.

It is a potentially life changing surgery. Keep up posted!

• Posted

Just received date for TKR. 1st May 2018. Ready for it. Doing all the pre op exercises etc and bag packed.
    • Posted

Good Luck Martin.

We'll be here.

I'll say a prayer all goes well.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Good Luck Martin.

We'll be here.

I'll say a prayer all goes well.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Good luck for 1st May. You will be fine. PMA,keep up the positive mental attitude!!

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

There are also some posts on here regarding the topic Preparing Your Home!!!  Things like:

- Put away all throw rugs that you can trip over.

- Set up a nightstand to contain everything you need at arms length...especially water.

- Prepare some meals in advance; freeze others to decrease cooking the first few weeks.

- Have all your meds lined up.

- Make sure you have a fast, easy, unobstructed path to the bathroom.

Lots of others.  Just walk your house and put away anything unnecessary for the next month or so.  Good luck.

• Posted

Sending good wishes your way!

This forum is a great resource and source of encouragementnand help!

You can choose older posts by picking through the page numbers shown on the KNEE PROBLEMS main page. Look to the right of the page subtitle "All discussions in this group" and you will see page 1 but flick on the arrow to see other previous pages also.

Your knee story will be very uniquely your own, but we can relate to the highs and lows of the journey! I am now over a year and it is well worth the challenges it involves. With a positive frame of mind and support and patience, things do move forwards. Now I look back and don't know what happened to the time...it really did fly...but of course, at the time it seems a very slow process!

You may like to go to my profile by clicking on the image next to my name. I kept a journal of my own knee replacement journey, and I have been told by several people they found it helpful to read, or skim through. It's got a lot of general information in it, and gives you one person's experience right from hospital to the 12 month mark!

Sending you best wishes and peace.

• Posted

Thanks Jenny, and everyone else who has replied/commented on here. I've spent hours on here now and have found loads of useful posts. Got date for TKR now for 1st May and can't wait to get it done. Thanks again all.

• Posted

Hi Jenny. I've tried to read your journal but can't seem to find it. I've clicked on the image near your name and that brings up your profile with recent comments/replies etc and a panel with your discussions (about 12) but I can't see your journal. Probably me missing something.

Cheers

• Posted

Hi, this site doesn't allow external links so you need to copy and paste the link address in my profile in your browser to get to the relevant page of my artist blog to read my patient journey! That's why I cannot just share the link with you!Hopefully you will find it that way if not put my name and the title of it in and it should come up that way!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.