having to wait over a month for hfe genetic test result...

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone

Am new to this site just wondered if anyone had to endure the long wait for test results for genetic hemochromatosis? Feeling lousy with most of the symptoms but waiting anxiously for test results. Had a blood test done 8 days ago and Informed by GP staff that I need to wait another 3 weeks for results?? Anybody has this awful waiting game problem? I live up in Scotland by the way. Thanks in advance for all replies xx

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi chelle I live in Scotland too I waited 6 weeks on my results then it wasn't long after that I went and seen consultant.

• Posted

Hi Tina.   Thanks for your reply.

Guess It looks like we've got the short straw up here in Scotland then having to wait so long. I think the waiting is just making me more anxious and the chest pains and fatigue are getting worse. Did you feel the same having to wait? How long was it before you had venesection? I'm just worried the damage it might be doing to other organs as well. Would feel better knowing what it is that's wrong with me and giving it a name I guess and hopefully it's not done any long lasting damage. It seems like a horrible disease having read about it.

How are you coping with it? Hope your getting better x

• Posted

Hi chelle I was diagnosed in December 16 got my first venesection in the January my levels were at 729 was going every month then now go every fortnight as my levels weren't going down now at 474 was actually there today for venesection.I am very tired all the time got joint pain and fatty liver with it.My dad had the disease and my mum a carrier where abouts in Scotland do u live.Some days I'm better than others as I gets me down sometimes.

• Posted

Hi Tina

Yeah I know what you mean I'm having a low mood week and the tiredness is awful although most nights I find I can't sleep for it either, do you find that?  Does the venesection help? My ferritin wasn't too high at 199 and not too much a concern but my sat index was 61%  am also missing having a nice glass of red wine in an evening as I'm scared I'll make things worse and damage my liver ....it's so rubbish having this isn't it!

i live in Aberdeenshire by the way  whereabouts are you? X

• Posted

Your transferrin saturation % of 61 is a good indication that you have hereditary haemochromatosis.  However your ferritin of 199 is not generally high enough to cause any problems.  If you multiply your Serum Iron by 61% that indicates how much is AVAILABLE to be stored.

I had constant chest pain in my 8th year undiagnosed plus the fatigue and body pain was so bad I was slurring and staggering.  Not till my hips broke up in the 9th year that I was diagnosed.

But my ferritin level was >999 even though I had been donating blood every 3 months not knowing I had HH.  My TS% is often 99% and has even been 107% even though I have been 'de-ironed' for many years and now have maintenance venesections every 3 months.

I am suggesting that you should not feel so anxious, and feel lucky that you have been tested early before it has got to a bad stage.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Sheryl

Thanks for that will try not to feel as anxious about it all. I know I'm only making things worse as my BP was high last time, it's just so difficult not to worry but just want to feel like my old self again. Hope your doing ok best of luck 

• Posted

I'm ok as I don't like red wine I live in ayrshire near Ayr 

• Posted

Hope your feeling better Tina and less tired after your venesection can't say I'll be looking forward to having those if I do have HH  

Have a good weekend and do Keep in touch maybe we can help each other 

Ayrshire is a beautiful part and of the country by the way  x

• Posted

They took my blood to test the morning of my hip replacement surgery. I got home 5 days later and my results were waiting for me in the mail. I live in the US. 

Sounds like the results of  your nationalized healthcare.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Chris guess we got the short straw up here in Scotland!
    • Posted

We may have touched on this before and I have forgotten, but was it the condition of your hips which prompted your dr to test for haemochromatosis?
  • Posted

No real need to limit your red wine consumption. I went from my ferritin being 1887 and my tsat 92% to ferritin of 40 with 17 weeks of weekly phlebotomies all while drinking red wine almost every night.  Red wine inhibits the absorption of iron. Red wine with steak. My doctor said there is no need to change my diet and I have the most aggressive form of hemochromatosis.
    • Posted

Hi Chris

That's good to know the red wine is not making things for worse me, it's made me feel loads better already especially with the weekend coming up! 😁Think I shall  just try and enjoy myself and stop feeling so anxious about it all. Hope your doing ok since the hip operation and cheers to feeling well 🍷 Best wishes

• Posted

Definitely depends on Postcode. Worcestershire is particularly bad - if you even get the results & they don't "lose" them, they seem to take at least 6 weeks. Warwickshire, on the other hand, seem to be one of the best. Once they agree to test you, lab results take around 2 weeks.

Hope yours come soon! Keep chasing them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.