Having trouble heel walking. Anyone else?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had my surgery on my left foot on Thursday 6/16. And my question is ... Anyone find ways to help ease into heel walking without terrible discomfort?? I know it's only 4 days from surgery and it's going to be a process in itself. But I was told by my dr that I need to have heel walking w at least 70% of my body weight because I will be having other surgery on the 30th for my right foot.

I know it sounds crazy but I have to get both feet done close together bc of recovery time w leave of absence.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

It is sad to see what you expect of your body. Having an operation on your feet and walking on them will take a lot of time. If one has a facelift, we expect the face to be swollen and bruised for weeks, not our feet? We not walking on our face. You should have been told that is will take quite some time before you expect to be back to normal. Walk slow, concentrated and use the help of crutches. After a while, once all is over, you find you still walk on your heels. Then you have to retrain your brain to get you to walk normal. Good luck for the next one and try to be patient, lots of that.
    • Posted

Hi. Yea I was told it will not be 100%. But my swelling is so minimal. And I need to at least be able to support some weight bc of other foot being done. Probably for moving and shifting to things most likely. Def going to be challenging.

How did u deal with heel walking? When did u start to become confident and comfortable? I know everyone heals differently but I just want to know others experiences

• Posted

Hi, I'm 7 wks out from surgery and I'm just beginning to heel walk. Go slow and be careful. I fell just last week. Someone says it takes time and patience. It sure does and I don't think I could do another foot at this time. My surgery was not minimally invasive and I was told I'd be non weight bearing for 6-8 weeks. My point is I am not sure how that compares to what you had done. Good luck, it sounds like you're asking a lot of your body but we do what we have to do sometimes. Best wishes.
    • Posted

Hi Joanne. Thx for input! I had the Austin bunionectomy done. But was told I can do partial weight bearing. And heel walk. But I still fairly new into recovery. So the heel walking not really happening. After ankle block wore off I stopped. But I HV no choice at this point to get other foot done. I do have the choice to not go through with it by my next visit post op. But w leave of absence and recovery time w job ( I'm a nurse) I think it was best to just do both a few weeks apart.
    • Posted

I did start to press my heel into the memory can cushion I HV just to get my foot slightly motivated. But I'm not going too crazy. It is what it is at this point of recovery. ☹
  • Posted

Have you bought some Darco heel wedges shoes? They look horrible but get you around ok and ensure you don't put weight on your toes. I wore them all the time for the first 4 weeks when I had both feet done smile best of luck with your recovery

• Posted

No 🙃did not even think about that. I will def take a look into them.ty! 😬
  • Posted

I am really confused why your doctor made you wait 2 weeks to do the other foot.  Both my feet done at the same time.  I am in week 6 and finally feel like they are getting better.  I have been heal walking since I had the surgery with no problems.  Good luck with having your second foot done.  All I can tell you is be patient, healing takes time.
    • Posted

They are two weeks apart bc he did not want me under anesthesia too long. I have heart condition. So the two week option was best for me. Plus the recovery time seemed better that way for me. I been trying to heal walk but I have the surgical shoe that I hate. I feel like it makes it more difficult to do with it on. But I have to protect the pin in my foot

Def taking my time to heal. I'm not trying to rush it but I have to be heel walking more

• Posted

Hello, I've been told to walk on my heel yet I cannot move my ankle up to do so. It's not because of pain, I just cannot lift my foot up at an angle... Is this normal?

• Posted

Hey bracken .. I been heel walking for a few days. I do not lift my foot up completely either. It stretches my foot too much and I get a bit of discomfort. Do I'm not completely center on my heel. I believe the. bandage has a huge part tonplay in this. Best of luck to u!

• Posted

Hi bracken. I have been actually pressing my heel into s memory foam cushion. And it has helped me tremendously. Helps with keeping foot straight and directing muscle as much as possible. It helped me stretch out the foot and make it better prepared for a heel walk.
    • Posted

The bandage is very heavy for my foot, I think that may be part of the problem! Thank you smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.