Having trouble sleeping at night....so tired all the time.

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all,  

i am almost 3 weeks post op and find that my foot stings really badly at night as well as he sometimes shooting pains. My pain killers don't seem to help, though I guess it might be worse without them. I am putting on an ice  pack which helps a bit.

do any of you taking sleeping pills to help.? I have never taken them so a bit wary but my husband is suggesting I ask the doctor. I need to be a bit more alert as we are having building works done on the back of our house, plus I am doing a uni course online, which I have deferred by a couple of weeks. I am due to go back to work next week but am a teacher so hard to sit with foot up so may have to get a others doctors certificate.

it is hard to actually make hubby realise that I am not just "vegging in bed" but "mending"......

so that is my whinge for the day.....for your eyes only who can empathise.

cheers and hope you are all coping. We all know and believe that this is all for the good and open toed sandals for the first time in so many years!

fran

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

And I have 3 children but at least they are old enough to look after themselves.
  • Posted

I would be leary of using sleeping pills along with pain killers.  They do not mix well.  Back to work next week?  How long has it been since the surgery? 
  • Posted

Oh sorry Fran, I see it has been 3 weeks since surgery.
  • Posted

Hi fran, 

I am 2 weeks post op and mine goes numb and tingly, mainly when I try yo do too much. I have just been back at work for three days, just doing mornings and by midday my foot is so numb. I am doing too much but find it hard to do any less as I own and run my own business! Looking forwards to sandals though

• Posted

Hi Fran, I was like you constantly tired and could slee sleep for England especially during the day. All I say is whilst you're sleeping your foot is repairing. I didn't take sleeping pills as I didn't want to come to rely on them I found having my foot up on a couple of pillows unde the duvet, though initially a bit odd, rally did help and it wasn't too long before I was back sleeping as before.  I think you would be best to have at least 6 weeks off work particularly as you will not be able to have your foot up for any length of time when you return. I have to say I am now 5 months post op and can now say for the first time my foot is virtually pain free and I am now able to wear shoes, well right foot anyway, without the discomfort experienced pre op.The motto for this operation is ' be patience' . Good luck :-) 
  • Posted

I'm 14 weeks post op and have had trouble sleeping since my op.  I feel tired all the time and lack energy. I've never taken sleeping tablets until just recently.  My GP gave me zopiclone and I took it for a week and my sleep was great.  Woke up more alert and didn't feel sleepy during the day.  I'm not on regular pain killers now so didn't need to worry about mixing medication.  But I've had amytrptiline in the past which is mainly for pain but it also helps with sleep so that might be an option to discuss with you GP.  Getting enough sleep in so important for our healing process and sleeping tablets are only prescribed short term (1-2 weeks). I've been anti medication of any sort but now I realise it's helpful in the short term at times like this.
  • Posted

Thanks guys for  your comments...I just woke to a horrible day, it got better once husband had gone to work and kids to school.....hard to know if its better with them all around seemingly not helping or gone. They all have alot more to do without me.... .maybe I did too much....and they still ask me where their clothes are and I havent done the laundry for 3 weeks so can only guess. I actually walked to our local coffee shop today on my crutches and had time in the outside world on my own. I am applying for a special car sticker so when people give me a lift we can park in the handicap zone.  I had my left foot done but we have a manual car so cant drive for ages which is ....hard work organising lifts for my 14 year old twins to various committments.
  • Posted

Hi Fran. Take heart it does get better. I was extremely lucky and didn't have to take anything stronger than Paracetamol, but I know everyone is different. Getting a good night's sleep is so important and will help with everything else you are coping with at the moment, including your husband! So take them and the world will seem a lot more manageable in the morning! Get a certificate as you can't be on your feet all day and expect to be totally pain free. RJB
  • Posted

Hi Fran, i am nearly 4weeks post op, but apart from the first 10 days or so (which were unbearable) the pain has been manageable, although apart from hospital check ups, i have not been outside the door, i have just completely rested, i have a hubby and 2 teenage girls, but they have had to get on with it so to speak, good learning curve for them, although my 14yo youngest does resent it a bit, but its important to rest as much as possible for the bone to fuse etc. i am back to work onmonday and worry about how that will go, nut i have requested a phased return so i will not be on public transport at the busiest time, also, i wont hesitate in getting signed off again if i am unable to manage not being able to put my foot upto rest. With regards to sleeping tablets, i have taken zoplicone on and off, for a short term effect, they are worth it, but if you dont want to go down that path, you can buy over the counter sominax, which are also an effective sleep aid. Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi - you say the first ten days was unbearable? I am on day 8 and some days arent too bad but today it really really hurts!! I had keyhole so (probably stupidly) thought it wouldn't hurt as much. 

Am told I can weight bear on my heels and I walking kind of on the side of my feet at the back (if that makes sense) but worried by walking I am stopping it fusing as its now hurting constantly! Should I be worried or will it just ease?? All reassurance welcome!

• Posted

Natha this is all normal...those first two weeks are hard, the pain wakes you at night and walking is hard work. Keep it eve latex as much as you are able for these early days.
  • Posted

Hi Fran, at 3 weeks it is early days for your recovery. I think that you should give your consultant's secretary a quick ring and say that you have some concerns.

Your husband clealy hasn't a clue so maybe he should be on this chat too as I'd love to message him!

Yes, you're right it is all for the good. It took me some 20years to pluck up the courage to get my ugly feet corrected and to be able to choose shoes that we like rather than those that fit and then go out of shape will be fab.

Stay happy and get that certificate as you will do more harm than good by attempting to work. (I was off work for 8 weeks). x

• Posted

Hi fran, I agree with hilly totally. I am 2 weeks post op and have been back at work for a couple of days, mornings only and this morning I am paying for it . My foot is so sore. I haven't been in pain like this at all. I wasn't this sore right after the op. Stay at home, keep your foot elevated and mend. Let everyone else get on with it, be selfish for once and put yourself first. Amanda
    • Posted

Hi Fran, I guess what also helped me was that my husband was present when I was told about after care and how important it was for me to rest, rest, rest then he was aware about how serious post op care is. I have never read so many books in my life! x
  • Posted

Hi Fran, I'm 10 weeks post op. I didn't take any pain meds at all, just ibuprofen . I do take ambien (sleeping pill) and I have to say getting a good nights sleep was key to my recovery. I don't think it would hurt to ask your doctor.  

It gets better, it's just a slow going processs. It won't be long before you can't remember all the hours and days you spent in the bed. Hang in there! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.