Having trouble taking full deep breath, body is shaky and chest tightness

Posted , 20 users are following.

I woke up January 1st feeling tired and short of breath. I didn't think anything of it maybe I was just exhausted. By Wednesday I started to panick because I couldn't take a full deep breath. I found myself yawning more to try and get a deep breath in. I felt some pressure on the left side of my ribs and slight chest pain and decided to go to the hospital. They did an ekg, chest x-rays, and blood work and all came back normal and healthy. They sent me home and nothing changed so I found myself going back 2 days later this time I could barely catch my breath I wasn't sure if I was having a panick stack due to me feeling like I couldn't breath fully. They ran the same tests all over again and also did a CT Scan. Everything came back normal but they said it's possible I have pleurisy which is an inflammation to the outer lining of my lung, they said that could be making it hard to breath and they gave me 600mg of ibuprofen and sent me home. It's now day 12 and nothing has changed I have been waking up shaking with tightness in my chest due to not being able to breathe correctly. I went to my Primary Care Dr who gave me a breathing test through a tube which came back not normal. They said I might have asthma but they need to run more tests. I'm 28 healthy and I am not a smoker and no history of asthma in my family. She also prescribed me Medrol which is a steroid for inflammation for 5 days. I'm on day 2 and still no changes. They gave me an inhaler to try and that did not work. She also said it's anxiety and prescribed me lorazepam 0.5mg to take as needed until they run more tests. I took one last night and it got me sleepy but it did not help me breath better. I'm at a loss right now because I don't know what it could be. I've been very weak and dizzy if I stand up for too long and it's been affecting my everyday life. I just want to know if there's something they haven't checked for that could be causing this?

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I could have written this post! I was just dx today with pleurisy and acute bronchitis with acute asthma. I bought a pulse ox at Walgreens which helps me calm down when I think I’m feeling short of breath because it shows 98-99% oxygen saturation, meaning my body is eating enough oxygen. I think most of your problem is anxiety and panic attacks but it could be a virus or something as well. 
  • Posted

i have had same problems and feelings for last 4 months. had every test in the book ran. EVERYTHING came back normal saying heart and lungs were fine. They finally did a heart cath. and even tho the 2 stress tests i had done and all the tests coming back normal, i had 1...80% and 1...50% blockage. they stented the 80% blockage. i felt good for awhile. but then back to all the yucky feelings. they will probably do another heart cath. hope you get better.

• Posted

i have had the same thing for a a year and a bit now and i went to the doctors but they couldnt explain it. i'm 17 completely healthy . ive been searching up and trying to work put the problem and im on here right now becuse it was worse today and its so annoying . i have the exact same symptoms as you.

they gave me an inhaler but honestly it hasnt done anything to red of the breathing issues and especially when i yawn and i even get out of breath more. i really dont like it 😦

• Posted

did you ever find out what was wrong??? ive recently been dealing with the same situation. ive gone to the er twice now but they keep telling me its anxiety but i was never anxious when it first started happening. they tried prescribing an inhaler but that doesnt help at all...

• Posted

Same for me two years worth of shortness of breath many other symptoms been to about every doctor you could imagine recently spent two different weeks at mayo clinic wiTh no answers at all i always get told anxiety or they dont know and all test are normal

• Edited

I'm 17 and just developed this after dealing with covid. I personally believe that mine is an anxiety and asthma problem as throughout having covid I've had blood tests and the doctor said my lungs were clear. I can breathe pretty fine but my main issue is just the chest tightness and the little shaking when I breathe deeply. It mainly affects me more during the morning than later in the day.

• Posted

at this point i just think there guessing the samething is going on with me im getting trembling in my heart area when i take deep breaths i have been in and out of the er i have been to urgent cares and my primary they all keep saying its anxiety the give me hydrozine bus bar and now i got the same steroid your taking the 5mg im stressing bad sometimes even crying because i know its some other then anxiety im a 39yr old male dont smoke dont do drugs and dont drink i have heart palpitations some time and i be short of bread im super scared and all these medication arent doing anything.....super scared

• Posted

at this point i just think there guessing the samething is going on with me im getting trembling in my heart area when i take deep breaths i have been in and out of the er i have been to urgent cares and my primary they all keep saying its anxiety the give me hydrozine bus bar and now i got the same steroid your taking the 5mg im stressing bad sometimes even crying because i know its some other then anxiety im a 39yr old male dont smoke dont do drugs and dont drink i have heart palpitations some time and i be short of bread im super scared and all these medication arent doing anything.....super scared

• Posted

hey this exact thing happened to me, the drs wont care but its probably a tight diaphragm from stress so just look up diaphragm release and massage vids on youtube and it will help you breathe

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.