Having trouble with car lights at night

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have had Meniere's Disease for many years and manage it with a very strict diet.  Lately, I find that when I'm in a car (especially as a passenger) at night the headlights from opposite side traffic cause me to feel that I will have an attack.  I manage it by closing my eyes.  Also, even during the day, if there is a lot of traffic in the opposite direction I find I can't "manage" all the stimulation.  Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes, I have had problems on highways where there is a lot of traffic with lots travelling alongside in multiple lanes and also on the opposite side going the other way.  I also have trouble in crowds of people, when everyone is moving.  I think it is related to vision and it's connection to the inner ear.  People with vestibular problems can have 'visual dependence'.  When the vestibular system isn't working well due to damage from Meniere's, the eyes and brain can feel the effect and it's a dizzy feeling of upcoming vertigo.  I found help by not wearing my trifocal glasses and going to single vision contacts instead.  That allows the brain to have less work to do in orienting you in space.  

• Posted

Thank you for your response.  Since I've heard from people like you (which is so helpful) I've made the decision to consider vestibular rehabilitation.  I've been reading about it and it looks as though it might be useful to deal with the excess visual stimulation of cars, traffic, crowds, etc.  If I follow through and it does help, I'll make sure to post about it so everyone on this site will know.

• Posted

I hope people on this forum still check in. I was just diagnosed with Meniere's about 2 months ago. As a "Commercial Truck Driver" I too had problems with night time driving for a long time. My problems progressed to day time problems( above 35 MPH) to a point where I can't currently work. I've been to a few doctors(including ENT) and had the Audiology tests and I'm wondering what the future holds for me.

• Posted

I have the very same issue when driving. However, I think my one eye is what throws me off, not both. It is the same side as my MD ear, the right. If I close that eye when I make turns, etc. I can do it without going dizzy. However, it is always an uneasy feeling. I feel much better up in my truck than I do in a car. Seems like I can see better and my eyes don't have to work so hard. Even before MD, when driving my small car, you get the lights of everyone. If you get something a little taller than a car, it gets you out of the stream of lights and helps to get the light out of mirrors, eyes, etc. So, if you have a small car or ride in one, trade it in for a big 4x4.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.